SaltCritters.com

Fluval EVO 13.5 Lighting

diehardsaint

So I just set up a Fluval EVO 13.5 this weekend. it has about 10 or 11 pounds of rock, 10 pounds of sand and about 11 gallons of water in it currently. I have 2 other nano set ups that I've had going for 6 and 8 years so I am not relatively new to the saltwater addiction. My questions is about the lighting on the EVO. The lighting is very white compared my other tanks. My other 2 tanks are both bio cube and I have removed the tops and retrofitted them with CREE LEDs. I know the Fluval box says this thing is suppose to be reef ready but I am worried about the amount of blue in the factory light set up. If you don't think the factory lighting is sufficient, what have you  used and what would you recommend as a reto for this tank?

Also, If the factory set up is sufficient to grow SPS and softies, do you think it would be possible to add a blue LED accent bar under the top to give the tank the blue sparkly effect that my other tanks have with out messing up the light PAR? It would be an LED bar like you would find at PetSmart to use to jazz up a kids fish tank.

I just took my evo top off and went with the kessil A160 light. Very happy with the results. It makes the corals look so might brighter and colorful. The factory light is good for softies and LPS and may keep some SPS alive but I doubt you'd see much growth. 

I set this tank up as a QT and because of that I was going low budget.  Picked up a AI sol nano , gooseneck, and controller on the classifieds on the site for 100 bucks shipped.. the people on this forum sell a lot of good stuff for reasonable prices..  

From what i've been seeing a lot of people go with the ai prime or the nanobox.. i have a nanobox on my biocube and love it , you won't find better customer support than Dave from nanobox..

Good luck

8 hours ago, ronix said:

I just took my evo top off and went with the kessil A160 light. Very happy with the results. It makes the corals look so might brighter and colorful. The factory light is good for softies and LPS and may keep some SPS alive but I doubt you'd see much growth. 

DO NOT TAKE THIS ADVICE...A160 looks nice and gives that kessil shimmer, but will not grow sps or even maintain them long term. No offense ronix, just trying to prevent someone from learning the hard way.

I currently have a fully stocked SPS dominated evo 13.5. From day 1 until about 6 months ago, I ran a A160 on it. Loved the color, the ease of being able to move around the goose neck, shimmer effect, etc. over the 10 months or so that I ran the kessil, It did well with zoas, but SPS is a no no.. I lost multiple pieces and the ones that did ride it out showed next to zero growth (other than a monti cap that was directly under the spotlight). This was not due to any water parameters, new tank, etc. Tank technically was not "new". It was setup with sand and rock from a 3 year old 90 gal mixed reef that I have that is immaculate... I was pretty bummed and almost scrapped the build all together.

About 6 months ago I went with the ecotech XR15... Although those are the only 2 lights i've used on a nano, I did do pretty extensive research before I pulled the trigger and from what I gather, there isnt even a close 2nd place. Its crazy. I put frags in there and see acros growing off the plug onto my rock within a week. I found it used on reef2reef and talked the guy down pretty easily to $250...Spend the extra $100 and save yourself the headache... If you are trying to go cheaper, dont buy the reeflink or the rms hanging kit..  If you are looking to keep SPS, you will lose more than the cost of the more expensive light in coral by going with the kessil.

Again, not trying to rip on ronix or kessils, but that particular model is not going to cut it if you are looking to keep anything other than leathers, zoas, and maybe a few fleshies...

11 hours ago, Boogie145 said:

DO NOT TAKE THIS ADVICE...A160 looks nice and gives that kessil shimmer, but will not grow sps or even maintain them long term. No offense ronix, just trying to prevent someone from learning the hard way.

I currently have a fully stocked SPS dominated evo 13.5. From day 1 until about 6 months ago, I ran a A160 on it. Loved the color, the ease of being able to move around the goose neck, shimmer effect, etc. over the 10 months or so that I ran the kessil, It did well with zoas, but SPS is a no no.. I lost multiple pieces and the ones that did ride it out showed next to zero growth (other than a monti cap that was directly under the spotlight). This was not due to any water parameters, new tank, etc. Tank technically was not "new". It was setup with sand and rock from a 3 year old 90 gal mixed reef that I have that is immaculate... I was pretty bummed and almost scrapped the build all together.

About 6 months ago I went with the ecotech XR15... Although those are the only 2 lights i've used on a nano, I did do pretty extensive research before I pulled the trigger and from what I gather, there isnt even a close 2nd place. Its crazy. I put frags in there and see acros growing off the plug onto my rock within a week. I found it used on reef2reef and talked the guy down pretty easily to $250...Spend the extra $100 and save yourself the headache... If you are trying to go cheaper, dont buy the reeflink or the rms hanging kit..  If you are looking to keep SPS, you will lose more than the cost of the more expensive light in coral by going with the kessil.

Again, not trying to rip on ronix or kessils, but that particular model is not going to cut it if you are looking to keep anything other than leathers, zoas, and maybe a few fleshies...

Well your experience does not reflect everyone's with the Kessil A160. I am having good success with SPS corals. I have gotten good growth in my tank and my SPS coral color has improved since switching to this light. 

Maybe not as successful with more difficult SPS like acro's, but I partially blame my water parameters. I am growing three different birdsnest, bonsi, forest fire digi, sunset monti, purple monti cap with good results so far.

I know this is 4 A160 lights but its a large tank.... They can grow SPS

20 hours ago, Boogie145 said:

Disagree. Theres nothing in your observation that pin points it was a kessil issue (no PAR value what so ever). A160 is a very good light, and battle tested for sps, your statement does not sync with most of our (kessil user's) experience.

I will be worried about the spread of a160, since its a pendant style light, and evo 13.5 is kinda rectangular. 

Regarding the quality of it.. I can tell you that its pretty good, if not the best in its class

23 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

Disagree. Theres nothing in your observation that pin points it was a kessil issue (no PAR value what so ever). A160 is a very good light, and battle tested for sps, your statement does not sync with most of our (kessil user's) experience.

I will be worried about the spread of a160, since its a pendant style light, and evo 13.5 is kinda rectangular. 

Regarding the quality of it.. I can tell you that its pretty good, if not the best in its class

I wonder if he maybe got his model numbers confused and was thinking of the A80?  

I tend to agree that an A160, being a 40w high quality light would be enough to grow just about anything in a small tank like this where the display area is probably what, 16-18" wide?  Depth is minimal

Wow!!! 2 beautiful tanks! Can you give me any info about what your growing or intend to grow? I'll have LPS and softies. All photo corals that don't need to be fed daily. A couple of blown gobies, hermits, etc. 

Also, while I'm asking. What about flow? I have a Hydor 240, I believe, in addition to the stock set up. Is that too much flow? My little gobbies seem to think it is and hide a good bit but come out a lot more when it is turned off. Will they get used to the flow or will they always stay hidden because of the flow?

I added a second pump and have 300-350gph, seems to be good. Its tough having a mixed reef as my LPS are really happy yet my sps could benefit from a bit more flow. With my Kessil light my zoas are growing like weeds, frogspawn and torch seem very happy. SPS I have a few different birdsnests that have been growing well, forest fire digi and monti caps are also doing well. I have a few acros that are encrusting and getting some growth. 

13 hours ago, diehardsaint said:

Wow!!! 2 beautiful tanks! Can you give me any info about what your growing or intend to grow? I'll have LPS and softies. All photo corals that don't need to be fed daily. A couple of blown gobies, hermits, etc. 

Sounds like a good plan, im collecting LPS, Softies and 1-2 SPS. I plan on adding gorgonians and Rock Flower anemone. Currently this rock work fell off and didn't hold well, so I have to rescape. if you have softies and LPS Hydor 240 should be fine. I was told that high flow is only required for SPS dominated tank. therefore Its save to say that as long as there is medium flow for LPS and softies, we should be fine.

On 11/21/2017 at 6:42 PM, ajmckay said:

I wonder if he maybe got his model numbers confused and was thinking of the A80?  

I tend to agree that an A160, being a 40w high quality light would be enough to grow just about anything in a small tank like this where the display area is probably what, 16-18" wide?  Depth is minimal

My bad fellas..You are correct, I googled the A160 and the images that came up looked identical to the kessil I was using. I dug it out of storage and low and behold, it was the A150W. Didnt even realize that I didnt veryify that i was about the same light...

Sorry if I got anyone flustered :unsure:

• Thanks 1

I have a Radion XR15Pro but it just seems like SO much for this little tank. Honestly I wish there was some kind of retrofit that could just slip in where the old light goes. I'd love to leave the top on for a change and keep the sleek look and avoid such massive evaporation.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone found a light that works well with the stock lid on the fluval 13.5? 

I want to upgrade my light as my corals look better under the blue, the algae I am battling is much worse when I only use the whites and the stock light with the fluval timer always turns on with the whites. 

I want to keep the lid if possible to keep the evaporation down as because most of the photos of the tanks I have seen with upgraded lights have a lot of light over spill into the room which I think could be distracting given that the tank is in my living room.

Thanks 

On 10/3/2018 at 3:55 AM, olig said:

Has anyone found a light that works well with the stock lid on the fluval 13.5? 

I want to upgrade my light as my corals look better under the blue, the algae I am battling is much worse when I only use the whites and the stock light with the fluval timer always turns on with the whites. 

I want to keep the lid if possible to keep the evaporation down as because most of the photos of the tanks I have seen with upgraded lights have a lot of light over spill into the room which I think could be distracting given that the tank is in my living room.

Thanks 

I have tried the Hipargero led light from Amazon with really good resuslts, you simply remove the stock light and place the hipargero over the open space for the light in the lid. Hope it helps. 

Let me know if you used other options. Good luck.

On 11/21/2017 at 7:06 PM, Lugmos12 said:

I upgrade the stock light to the Current Orbit Marine and I'm happy with it so far.

I put the same light on mine and I am very happy with the results. Not much light spill into the room either 

13 hours ago, venereef said:

I have tried the Hipargero led light from Amazon with really good resuslts, you simply remove the stock light and place the hipargero over the open space for the light in the lid. Hope it helps. 

Let me know if you used other options. Good luck.

Thanks, any chance you can send me a photo of your set up please? 

How controllable is the hipargero? Looking at the price on Amazon its a really temping upgrade! Thanks