Top Shelf Aquatics

Nuvo 30L Skimmer

MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

Hey guys, new to this hobby and forum here. I found a couple articles about skimmers for the nuvo 30L, I would prefer not to go the HOB route- I would like to put an aquamaxx WS-1 in the sump in the rear but I’m not sure if it fits, I can’t seem to find a post where someone has done it explaining how, but people say it’s possible. Does anyone have experience with putting it back there? Can I put it in the return pump chamber? 

WS-1 will fit in pump chamber.  You may have to have it rest on egg crate or something else to bring it to a proper water level.

Tunze 9004 and 9001 are also other options, they do include magnets so water level adjustments are easier.

MuffinMonster

Thanks! It was between the WS-1 and the tunze 9004. I am planning on starting triton method so I was wanting a work horse skimmer to be able to get the most waste as possible out without over-doing it too much. And the WS-1 seems to be a better skimmer per reviews. Would the tunze 9004 be able to put out the proper work of skimming while running triton method? Sorry, new to the hobby and haven't had a skimmer on my tank yet, I wasn't wanting to use a skimmer but triton method recommends it.

They both are great skimmers.  Most that review a skimmer do it within the first week of owning, and they have no idea how a skimmer actually works.

No idea on the Triton method plus there are so many variables it would be impossible for anyone to say one way or the other.  Skimmers on this size tank are helpful, plus you have the room.   I'd run a media basket under one intake grate, floss holder under the other.  Skimmer in the pump chamber, with two pumps, one running to each return.

MuffinMonster

Thanks for the input, ill have to check out the tunze 9004 more and maybe give it a go- it is cheaper, that may be the better option! And yea, I'm currently running a refuge on one intake chamber and a media basket with filter pad, carbon, gfo, and matrix by seachem on the other intake. I have both second chambers full of marine pure balls. If I go to triton I may delete the media basket with the filter pad and do a 2nd refugium. and throw gfo and carbon bags in the second chambers with the marine pure. Was planning on going to a sicce 1.0 for a return pump and throw the skimmer in that same chamber, I cant find two pumps that would give me a 9-10% turnover, as my tank has about 25-27gal of volume (due to rocks and sand) in it now. The only pumps I find (if i ran two pumps) would give me like 12-13% turnover, and I was really wanting to stick to 250-270gph other than 320-350gph.

I run a Tunze 9004 in my IM 40 Fusion and just set up an IM 30L... I will run Tunze 9004 in there as well.

The 9004 must be in one of the outer chambers.... ie. chamber #1 or #5.  But it works LIKE A BANDIT !!

MuffinMonster
6 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

The 9004 must be in one of the outer chambers.... ie. chamber #1 or #5.  But it works LIKE A BANDIT !!

I hear the 9004 is good, I still haven't fully decided but i think leaning more towards the aquamaxx ws1, I'm planning on running it in the return pump chamber right in the middle, with dual sicce micraplus 158gph pumps feeding each of the returns and set them off to the sides out of the way of the skimmer. I'm using my outer chambers #1 and #5 for running a dual refuge setup. My chambers #2 and #4 are used for marine pure balls, heater, bag of carbon and bag of GFO

Will you have issues with the water level in the return area?  I guess you could regulate the height by moving your ATO up and down... but seems like if the return area is at max height, that might be too high for skimmer, right?  can this skimmer fit in chamber 1 or 5 ??

MuffinMonster
9 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

Will you have issues with the water level in the return area? 

my return chamber is only about half full right now I have an ATO that deals with the water level in the return chamber- whenever I get the skimmer I will set my ato more precise to match what my skimmer needs, water level should only fluctuate about 1/2 inch to 1 inch, shouldn't affect the skimmer too much at all. And I think the aquamaxx is slimmer than the 9004, but a inch or so longer. I'm not sure if it will fit in one of the first chambers or not, I was just planning on having it in the return chamber from the get go lol. Especially if I run triton method- the skimmer needs to be AFTER the refugiums, so the skimmer wouldn't work in the first chambers with the system I'm wanting to run:/ only other option was a HOB skimmer, but I don't really want to go the HOB route with anything.

MuffinMonster
37 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

How do you roll a refugium  in chamber 2 and 4 ?  What basket do you use?  What light?  Pics?

I run marine pure balls in chambers 2 and 4, I run refugiums in chambers 1 and 5 (the main chambers where the overflows are). Ill get some pics when I get home. I use the innovative marine refugium light (goes on the back glass and shines through)

Also: I don't use baskets, I have two innovative marine custom caddys, but I took them out, the fuge has way more room if you don't use the media baskets. I run a couple marine pure balls on bottom and a bunch of chaeto on top.