Cultivated Reef

Shrimp dying

Plauri

I have been running a 2.5 gallon Pico reef tank for six months. Various soft corals, mushrooms and ricordea. And a small cuc.  About a month ago and added two Maxi Mini Carpet anemones. All water chemistries are well within desired levels and all corals are healthy and growing. 

My dilemma is that any attempt at keeping shrimp has failed. Originally I had 4 Sexy Shrimp. Did well for about 3-4 weeks then all died over a 4-5 day period. Next I tried a couple of Anemone shrimp. Eating and active and hanging with Maxi Minis and then died within days of each other.

Only thing I've come up with is that it seems deaths occured a few days after water changes.

Has anyone experienced this or have some insight as to what may be happening?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

How long between water changes? Have you tested your salt water after it is done mixing and compared it to the water in the tank before the change? In a tank that small a drastic change between the water could be the difference. You also might check the salt mix for iodine and copper levels. Too much iodine can be harmful over time and copper can be deadly.  The other possibility is hitchhikers, try checking the tank at night when the lights are off, use a red light flashlight to see. Some hitchhikers can be aggressive but hide during the day.

I know not much help but it can give you a start to your search. Good Luck and don't give up.