Innovative Marine Aquariums

Blasto coral shriveled in the past hour

aerotiy

12 hours ago, aerotiy said:

Today’s ammonia reading and blasto pic. Is it a goner at this point? :( other corals and fish looking ok. I put more prime and quick start in this morning.

47B0C5CF-AC12-43D3-807F-81A6F3E6CA06.jpeg

1646D7E3-6E2D-4728-A325-63B79EBBB809.jpeg

DE4A2834-3DBD-4571-93CA-0512F727EE77.jpeg

Your blasto looks pissed but could recover. If you have Lugol's iodine, put 2-3 drops in a cup of tank water and dip the blasto for 3-5 minutes. Regarding the ammonia test reading- are you reading the test in daylight? That is the best way to read it. I have also heard many occasions where the test reads 0.25 when it's really 0 but do not recall the particulars of why. If you're adding Prime, make sure the water is well oxygenated as I believe it can affect oxygen concentrations. Whatever you do, do NOT panic and have knee-jerk reactions as that always makes things worse. Take a deep breath. 

How long has the blasto been in that spot? It may just not like it there. Is anything bothering it? I have a finicky blasto that does this once in a while but with some babying it has always come back. Fingers crossed for yours as well!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the support! I went to my LFS today to pick up some reef dip and was talking to the guy about my ammonia issues and he actually told me it might be the API kit and that they’re going to stop stocking them because they’re just not reliable. He gave me a few free ammonia dip strips and told me to bring a sample of my water back next time.

So when I got home I did a smallish 1 gallon water change, put 4 capfuls of reef dip in the old water and stuck the blasto in there for 30 min.

We’ll see how it is tomorrow I really hope it gets better. Still bummed I lost my firefish :( so unexpected 

10 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

How long has the blasto been in that spot? It may just not like it there. Is anything bothering it? I have a finicky blasto that does this once in a while but with some babying it has always come back

I got the blasto at the same time I got my Duncan frag about 18 days ago. It has been in the same spot the whole time and it looks completely different than what it did just last week. Here’s the only pic I can find of it but it was even bigger and more puffed than this.

3C189CD4-5F5E-4877-AED0-629B553B7D9C.jpeg

8 hours ago, aerotiy said:

Thank you everyone for the support! I went to my LFS today to pick up some reef dip and was talking to the guy about my ammonia issues and he actually told me it might be the API kit and that they’re going to stop stocking them because they’re just not reliable. He gave me a few free ammonia dip strips and told me to bring a sample of my water back next time.

So when I got home I did a smallish 1 gallon water change, put 4 capfuls of reef dip in the old water and stuck the blasto in there for 30 min.

We’ll see how it is tomorrow I really hope it gets better. Still bummed I lost my firefish :( so unexpected 

Yes, that's what I meant about the ammonia kit. I still think they're useful tools if you choose to use them but not the most accurate sometimes.

What kind of reef dip did you use that required a 30 minute dip? I'm curious.

8 hours ago, aerotiy said:

I got the blasto at the same time I got my Duncan frag about 18 days ago. It has been in the same spot the whole time and it looks completely different than what it did just last week. Here’s the only pic I can find of it but it was even bigger and more puffed than this.

3C189CD4-5F5E-4877-AED0-629B553B7D9C.jpeg

Well, not sure what its deal is, but like I said, one of my seven types can be very finicky and shrivel up without warning. Fingers crossed yours recovers!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

What kind of reef dip did you use that required a 30 minute dip?

It’s by seachem just called reef dip coral disinfectant. The directions on the back said 15-30 min depending on severity.

fishfreak0114

I had one of my blastos come back from almost nothing, so don't give up!  I like to do iodine dips on damaged corals.  A few drops of iodine in a tupperware with tank water until a tint is just noticeable against a white background.  I leave the coral in for 3-5 minutes,  It seems to be the most effective for ailing corals out of the things I've tried.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I had one of my blastos come back from almost nothing, so don't give up!  I like to do iodine dips on damaged corals.  A few drops of iodine in a tupperware with tank water until a tint is just noticeable against a white background.  I leave the coral in for 3-5 minutes,  It seems to be the most effective for ailing corals out of the things I've tried.

I really hope so! Blasto looks pretty much the same as yesterday but thankfully everyone else is doing great. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Try moving it. They don't like high flow or direct light

Should I put it under the rock work or something? It’s already on the sand bed on the opposite side of the pumps

Going back downhill again this morning  :( I unfortunately have work in an hour so I can’t run a full diagnostic on the tank and remedy whatever the problem is. I hope the little guy is ok until I get home later

2ECBD891-060F-4548-AA29-A252B790EEE1.jpeg

• Sad 1

I dipped all my corals in coral rx and seachem reef dip yesterday while doing a large 3 gallon water change after the blasto started going downhill again. The others are still pissed and only semi open. However, the blasto has now completely lost all color and this is how we’re looking tonight (sorry about the lighting). I was fairly certain it was dead but I just took it out and did the sniff test and smelled nothing. Will coral always smell bad when they’re dead?

CDEE1D9C-F24B-4E51-BDE6-7C5E22E2E7F8.jpeg

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

Sorry for your loss.... And I didn't notice a smell when I pulled my melting Euphyllia.

Thank you.. this really sucks :( it was such a nice piece when it first arrived too I can’t believe it turned out like this. I guess it’s time to pull the plug

image.jpg

• Sad 1

Ah man sorry to see that. Sometimea corals just get mad and go down hill. No matter what people try to do.

Keep an eye on your corals. As long as they are doing well I would say it was bad luck.

Also, Coral RX can be rough on corals. It is meant as a dip to kill parasites and unwanted pests. Not familiar with the Seachem dip but I would stick to iodine for helping corals recover.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone looks good as of right now so I’m just going to try and get things running smoothly again.

I didn’t know the coral rx would do more harm than good so I’ll keep that in mind for the future /: The seachem dip bottle says it contains ‘elemental iodine complexed to a protective slime coat’. 

• Like 1