Top Shelf Aquatics

Lugmos12

Depending on the macro algae, you may have seeded your tank.  

You you should qualify your question more..  does the question refer to effects of seaweed when it is growing in the tank or does the question refer to organic nutrients decomposing into inorganic nutrients.

well, if it's growing, it's removing nutrients and storing it in biomass. if you chop it up and it dies, that's releasing the stored nutrients. some algae leach chemicals in very very small quantities over a period of time, macroalgaes are normally a great addition to healthy and balanced reef. (I feel like I'm selling cereal.)

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Depending on the macro algae, you may have seeded your tank.  

You you should qualify your question more..  does the question refer to effects of seaweed when it is growing in the tank or does the question refer to organic nutrients decomposing into inorganic nutrients.

I mean the second part about decomposing. I fed dry seaweed.

I am also curious about this. I rubberbanded a golf ball size (diameter) piece of purple dried algae to a piece of rock and put it in my tank for my starry blenny. How long can I leave this in the tank? Do I need to worry about it decomposing? Tank has been running about a month and wast started with live rock. Small bio-load (1 fish, 4 snails, corals) at the moment. Is there good general rule for how long you can leave dried algae foods in the tank?

If they have not eaten it in three days, toss it.  Actually, if herbivores are active they should be eating it on day one and you should never put more dried algae than herbivores can eat in a day.

I made a Tang feeding platform to provide shade for NPS.  This macro is alive and will recycle inorganic nutrients into organic biomass of fish.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Subsea said:

If they have not eaten it in three days, toss it.  Actually, if herbivores are active they should be eating it on day one and you should never put more dried algae than herbivores can eat in a day.

I made a Tang feeding platform to provide shade for NPS.  This macro is alive and will recycle inorganic nutrients into organic biomass of fish.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Noted. Thanks for the input. The blenny immediately began picking at algae on the rocks after I finished acclimating it, but I wanted to be sure it had enough to eat, so I added the small piece of seaweed sheet. I'll have to get creative on how to keep the sheet of seaweed stationary if it's only the amount it can eat in a day. I suppose I could only offer it every other day since it does appear it is finding some algae on it's own in the tank.

Great looking tank btw. That GSP on the back wall is strong! 

• Like 1

Fish should graze, it is natural for them.

Three weeks ago I received: three flame scallops; four yellow cucumbers and five Damsels a singing.  Sorry, I am getting stoked for Christmas.  I ordered a Flame Angel as the “last fish” to go into my 25 year old 75G Jaubert Plenum.  He was laying on his side and breathing rapidly in shipping bag.  I acclimated and released him to tank.  He would not eat and swam erratically.  On the third day when the other Drawf Angel in this tank started to pick on him, I would not have bet two bits for his survival.

on the third night that flame angel was  in this tank, I added several pieces of diver collected uncured live rock.  In the morning, with ambient sunlight in tank, everyone was grazing on real live rockS

image.jpg

• Like 1

Are you talking about nori strips?

If so it's best to use a veggie clip or wrapping it around a pvc pipe with an elastic. All uneaten amounts should be removed.

This prevents nutrient issues when feeding nori

• Like 1

@Subsea, I have to say the GSP wall is amazing. I've had dry rock that's been sitting for a year sprout dictyota algae, the nori could have little spores left over somehow. I don't really have herbivores(aside from an adventurous clownfish).

On 11/15/2017 at 5:39 PM, Clown79 said:

Are you talking about nori strips?

If so it's best to use a veggie clip or wrapping it around a pvc pipe with an elastic. All uneaten amounts should be removed.

This prevents nutrient issues when feeding nori

a lot of the broken pieces ended up on getting picked up by the filter floss