Innovative Marine Aquariums

$1,000 budget, build advice

cedwards

I am looking for some advice on a reef tank build. I currently have a 20 gal tall fowlr. I would like to reuse my rock/sand and jebao pp8 powerhead from this tank in the new build to save costs, and to seed the new tank. 

I am limited by space big time. I have 30" of length to work with, no more. I have 18" of width, I could probably squeeze another inch here maybe. No room for a sump, so I am think all in one style tank.

My initial thoughts are to use a 29 gal tank, and drill it for an overflow, then build an acrylic box somewhere around 24"x6" to hold a skimmer, heater, return pump, and a refugium chamber. 

Any advice would be great. I am very handy with building things and honestly I get a little more enjoyment out of building rather than buying. 

I'd like to keep mostly lps, livestock right now is 2 green chromis and a blue damsel, cleaner shrimp, couple crabs/snails. I'd like to add another fish or 2. I am new to the hobbie. Spent years researching before getting started so I have a decent idea of what is going on but very much a newbie lol. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would reuse the rock but get new sand and take a cup or 2 of the old sand to seed the new stuff that way you don't have to worry about what was left behind in the old sand I mean you can rinse the old sand but I personally would just get new. Just my 2 cents.?

I would only reuse the sand if it's completely washed till it runs clear.

Using a cup of old is enough to seed a new sand bed.

The rocks are all you need to transfer without issue.

I'd look into an aio. Innovative marines.

Red sea

The Fusion 20 would fit your requirements perfectly.  You'd have 6" long to spare and 3" wide to spare.  Fusion 20 = Dimension are:  24” x 15” x 13”.

Also, Fusion Lagoon 25.  Dimensions are: 24” x 20” x 12”.   You'd have 6" long to spare but you wanted 18" wide with +/- 1", so it'd be 2" wider than you wanted.

I’d go with the JBJ 45 gallon rimless.  I have one now and have plenty of room for rocks coral growth.  Get a nice light like a Radion XR30W or a Hydra 26 HD (many other nice lights you can get).  Get a nice slimmer for an AIO tank.  Get two InTank media baskets.  And just sand, rock, and water from there.  And then corals is another topic...

1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

The Fusion 20 would fit your requirements perfectly.  You'd have 6" long to spare and 3" wide to spare.  Fusion 20 = Dimension are:  24” x 15” x 13”.

Also, Fusion Lagoon 25.  Dimensions are: 24” x 20” x 12”.   You'd have 6" long to spare but you wanted 18" wide with +/- 1", so it'd be 2" wider than you wanted.

The fusion 20 wouldn't really be much better than what I have now... I'm afraid the sump area is way to small to be of any real value.

41 minutes ago, Dreichler said:

I’d go with the JBJ 45 gallon rimless.  I have one now and have plenty of room for rocks coral growth.  Get a nice light like a Radion XR30W or a Hydra 26 HD (many other nice lights you can get).  Get a nice slimmer for an AIO tank.  Get two InTank media baskets.  And just sand, rock, and water from there.  And then corals is another topic...

This could be in option if I can figure out a way to swing the extra width, I'm not sure I can though. I may be slightly too wide.

4 hours ago, Dreichler said:

The 45 gallon I believe is 26-27 inches long.  I thought you had 30 inches of room?

26.5x21x19. It's the 21" width that messes me up. I need something less than 30x18, although I may can fudge on the 18 part by moving the stand away from the wall some and adding a new top to account for the overhang.

I hate AIO so my opinion is to find a tank that fits your space and go from there. I have tried a few AIO's and I just get irritated with them..lol

I am doing a 40 breeder for around 1,000 CAD$ but it's 36" so a bit longer then your looking for.

1 hour ago, squamptonbc said:

I hate AIO so my opinion is to find a tank that fits your space and go from there. I have tried a few AIO's and I just get irritated with them..lol

I am doing a 40 breeder for around 1,000 CAD$ but it's 36" so a bit longer then your looking for.

I REALLY wish I could come up with the extra room to fit a 40b. Honestly that is the perfect size in my opinion. If I had my pick, I'd have a 40b/20l display/sump. This tank is a father/daughter project for my little girl. It must fit on her bedroom dresser. The wife is 100% against it going anywhere else in the house. I have been trying for years but it isn't happening. So I have to deal with the limitations I have.

After a lot of consideration, I think I am just going to go with a standard 29g tank, and diy a desperate sump area behind it to house the heater, auto top off, and a refugium section. I am undecided on a skimmer. I am getting completely mixed suggestions on this. I keep reading they are a waste on a small tank, and then I read that they are very beneficial to any size tank. 

l will have roughly 4 inches of width inside my sump, are there any decent skimmers that can fit in such a small area? 

13 minutes ago, cedwards said:

After a lot of consideration, I think I am just going to go with a standard 29g tank, and diy a desperate sump area behind it to house the heater, auto top off, and a refugium section. I am undecided on a skimmer. I am getting completely mixed suggestions on this. I keep reading they are a waste on a small tank, and then I read that they are very beneficial to any size tank. 

l will have roughly 4 inches of width inside my sump, are there any decent skimmers that can fit in such a small area? 

I like cadlights PLS-50 elite. Worked great on my nanocube. 

You can always BUILD a tank out of plywood and line it with pond shield. This way it can be the exact dimensions you need. And you can cut viewing panels and add glass. 

These always look better usually if it is one large viewing panel on the front. There are some other MONSTER tanks on some other forums. 

Here’s a couple. A 700g tank

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vances-700-plywood-build.321239/

And a massive 1600 gallon system with two display tanks. 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alexgs-basement-plywood-build-2-displays-one-system.209737/page-21

im actually in the process of planning a plywood build. Somewhere in the 55g range. 

If if you read through the 2nd thread, the guy builds about 90% of the equipment. It’s really insane

A Aquamaxx HMF HOB fuge with built in skimmer ($270) would be nice,hung on a IM Nuvo Rimless 20g ($90) with a Aqami KPS ($101) paired with a AI Hydra 26 & AI HMS mount ($420) Tunze Nano ATO ($90),that leaves you $30 under budget and you'd still need rock and sand. 

Or you could just do a nano and save some money lol. If you set up a Fusion 10 with EVERYTHING,even test kits,rock and sand its $870. 

Honestly, I would say go with an AIO because you are working with limited space and an AIO is very very convenient as everything is already there, no complications.  Get good media basket(s), a good light, good return pump(s), and even a skimmer if you feel you need/want one.  In my experience (~4 years advanced mixed reefs) I have never used any equipment but return pumps, powerheads, and good lights.  I’ve never ran any kind of reactor, skimmer, heater (I live in South Florida it’s hot enough), dosers, or anything similar.  Weekly water changes, daily manual top-off, and manual dosing when really needed.  If you keep up with your maintainance/husbandry then your tank will clearly show it.  

On another note, what are your plans as far as corals and livestock?  How about aquascaping?  

6 hours ago, pntbll687 said:

You can always BUILD a tank out of plywood and line it with pond shield. This way it can be the exact dimensions you need. And you can cut viewing panels and add glass. 

These always look better usually if it is one large viewing panel on the front. There are some other MONSTER tanks on some other forums. 

Wood is really only used for massive budget builds that I've seen...  The hassles of dealing with the material alone make it not worth the effort when you could buy glass for a small tank like this with minimal cost.  If you called around I'm confident you could get 1/4" glass cut to about any size that would fit into that space for maybe $75.  Add some silicone and you have a DIY tank.  For a touch of professional have the top edge polished.  30 x 18 x 12" sounds like a nice tank size - and not too difficult to light since it's shallow.  Compare that to wood and the time it would take to build, limited lifespan, and limited viewing opportunities and it doesn't seem worth it for anything less than a tank the size of a room where glass and acrylic become less of an advantage due to weight, cost, and manufacturing complexity/logistics.

Anyways - If I were you I would take a step back and decide on some clear objectives for this tank - like literally write them down.  Think about accessibility (for when it's time to clean), livestock choices, equipment you might want now or in the future, etc...   Maybe will help solidify the answers to some of your questions?  Good luck.

5 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Wood is really only used for massive budget builds that I've seen...  The hassles of dealing with the material alone make it not worth the effort when you could buy glass for a small tank like this with minimal cost.  If you called around I'm confident you could get 1/4" glass cut to about any size that would fit into that space for maybe $75.  Add some silicone and you have a DIY tank.  For a touch of professional have the top edge polished.  30 x 18 x 12" sounds like a nice tank size - and not too difficult to light since it's shallow.  Compare that to wood and the time it would take to build, limited lifespan, and limited viewing opportunities and it doesn't seem worth it for anything less than a tank the size of a room where glass and acrylic become less of an advantage due to weight, cost, and manufacturing complexity/logistics.

Anyways - If I were you I would take a step back and decide on some clear objectives for this tank - like literally write them down.  Think about accessibility (for when it's time to clean), livestock choices, equipment you might want now or in the future, etc...   Maybe will help solidify the answers to some of your questions?  Good luck.

One thing I did notice was that most if not all the plywood builds I saw were in basements, and there would have been no feasible way to get a tank of those sizes into the room itself.

I was thinking of a 55g plywood build, but I thinking it's going to turn into a frag tank build. Just trying it out would be cool, even if it was a small tank.

• Like 1