SaltCritters.com

Clownfish lying on his side at bottom

Macintosh

Hi all,

Got 2 clowns from lfs a little over a week ago. They had been there for 2 weeks doing well. 

Past 2 days one of them has started to lay on his side on the sand a lot. Still eats like a pig but he does not look comfortable . Nothing physically I can see except his belly looks off?

Other clown is doing great.

Picture before vs now.

Parameters 

pH 8.0-8.2

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate 0ppm

Phosphate 0-0.25ppm (definitely more on the yellow side)

KH 9

Calcium 400

Magnesium 1410-1440

Any thoughts? Thanks 

20171029_182511.jpg

20171108_193326.jpg

Clownfish are weird. They act like they are about to kick the bucket, then you poke em and they just go back to normal like it never happend. 

You could check for ammonia etc but just know that trolling is a clownfish speciality

I like your scape. I agree that the fish may be fine. Also may be dead soon. They really are weird. This is why high dollar designer clowns are dumb. 

Mine used to try and bury himself... and then lie motionless in a corner .What you can do is watch for developments like little white spots, tiny "hair like" stuff that looks like velvet, and test. water changes are also great and tend to make them perk up a bit.  don't panic, go slow and observe, and most likely it'll be fine.

• 1 year later...