Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hydroids on zoas?

jesseatam

30 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

Hydroids.

If they're hydroid is there a way I can manually remove them or do I have to wait for them to eventually dissapear?

9 minutes ago, ronix said:

i just put a bit of superglue on the tip of a needle and stab them, usually rips them out without hurting he zoas around it, or the glue sticks to them and they die.

If you don't get ALL of the 'nem, meaning EVERY piece of the foot, they'll just regrow AND spread. After you pull them out you can try to cover the spot on the rock with super glue. I looked at some pics of hydroids and the stringy things u have don't look feathery enough, but I'm certainly no expert, and there are many different kinds. I had an Aptasia clump come in on a frag plug and my Peppermint Shrimp took care of them in short order. Of course then they took out my Acans. Swapped them to my LFS for a Tail-spot Blenny.

• Thanks 1

When I have the time I'll mess with them to see if they retract into a tube or not, that seems to be a key distinction between aiptasia and hyrdroids. If it's aiptasia I think it'd be a nice excuse to get one of those ORA filefish :) If they're hydroids I might try my hand at super gluing over them.

3 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

That's definitely an Aptasia just to the right of center. Not sure about the stringy white things. Sorry I'm not more help.

Nope, hydroids :)

They are a very distinct thing, especially under actinic or blue LED. The green fluorescence is a dead giveaway.

I've found little that will actually remove them that isn't destructive to the surrounding rock and corals, so I usually leave them be if they aren't spreading or hurting anything. They tend not to really spread actively unless you mess with them or cut them. Superglue over them can work, but only if you cover them completely. 

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

Nope, hydroids :)

They are a very distinct thing, especially under actinic or blue LED. The green fluorescence is a dead giveaway.

I've found little that will actually remove them that isn't destructive to the surrounding rock and corals, so I usually leave them be if they aren't spreading or hurting anything. They tend not to really spread actively unless you mess with them or cut them. Superglue over them can work, but only if you cover them completely. 

I'm not arguing as to whether they're hydroids or not. I'm not sure about that. There is NO doubt that's an Aptasia just to the right of center.