SaltCritters.com

Help me Stock my 10 Gallon

sydney.grace

Hi all; I've got a 10 gallon that will be 5 weeks old this Friday. Currently, I have one yellow clown goby, three red legged hermits, 2 turbo snails, and 2 margarita snails. 

On friday, I'd like to add more inhabitants to the tank. I'm thinking maybe a couple more hermits or a few more snails, but I'd like to add a fish as well. 

Im trying to stay away from clowns, because I want something that's a little less basic. (I know clown gobies are kinda basic but they're SO cute and have adorable personalities!) 

I'd like something more active, a little larger than the clown gobe, and colorful. The tank has no lid and will eventually be a mixed reef, once I get this heinous green hair algae problem gone... 

I've been tossing around the idea of a six line wrasse. Again, they're fairly common but super vibrant and swim fairly openly, but not too openly where the tank size would be too small. 

So, if anyone would like to share what they have in their 10 gallon, or what they'd stock a 10 gallon with to provide for interesting color, behavior, and varying movement, please share! 

First, may I suggest that you leave the hermits out of your clean up crew.  They will eat your snails, whenever they get hungry.  For detritus control in your substrate, bristle worms will reproduce to the food supply.  The same with Cerith Snails reproducing in your tank.  In the long run, these guys will eliminate most all sand bed maintenance.  

I will assume that your tank has cycled nitrification bacteria.  There will be a progression of different micro algae’s as your tank microbial diversity shifts thru a progression of different things that may not look very good.  No worries it’s a natural process that you should allow if you seek a mature biological filter.  

I can’t help with your fish choice.  That is on you.  Depending on that choice, a Coral Banded Shrimp would be a real mobile centerpiece in your tank.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Subsea said:

First, may I suggest that you leave the hermits out of your clean up crew.  They will eat your snails, whenever they get hungry.  For detritus control in your substrate, bristle worms will reproduce to the food supply.  The same with Cerith Snails reproducing in your tank.  In the long run, these guys will eliminate most all sand bed maintenance.  

I will assume that your tank has cycled nitrification bacteria.  There will be a progression of different micro algae’s as your tank microbial diversity shifts thru a progression of different things that may not look very good.  No worries it’s a natural process that you should allow if you seek a mature biological filter.  

I can’t help with your fish choice.  That is on you.  Depending on that choice, a Coral Banded Shrimp would be a real mobile centerpiece in your tank.

Yes, I've heard that about the hermits eating snails. I'm planning on buying some extra shells for them and they also eat whenever my clown goby gets fed. The little dude is still trying to figure out that frozen food is good for him :) 

I've got some pretty monsterous bristle worms in there. They came in on the live rock I seeded the tank with and continue to grow. They're pretty cool.

The tank has completed its cycle and that's when I added the hermits and two snails, then later that week I added the turbos and the clown goby. I have probably 20lbs of rock with 7 or so that was live when I added it at the beginning of the cycle. I know the algae is normal, so I'm just keeping the glass clean and trimming the stuff down that's growing on the rocks. Any idea on time frame of when it might finally go away? 

I like coral banded shrimp a lot. However I've read that they can be aggressive towards other species of shrimp. Do you have any experience with this? 

Thanks. 

He will eat smaller shrimp and unless you buy a mated pair, he should be the only shrimp in tank.

https://www.livebrineshrimp.com/ShrimpJanitor.htm

I have netted these in both fresh and salt water.  They are the same species.  Quite adaptable to changes in environment.  They and green mollies caught at Corpus Christie will stock my outside growout system of three 150G Rubbermade tanks buried in the ground.

A blenny would be a good choice. Not only can they be colorful and active, but if you get the right species (I'm a huge fan of the tail-spot), they are also a working fish, helping to take care of algae (as well as, teenage ruffians and quick talkin' whipper-snappers). I know it might not seem the most exciting pick, but you are quite limited in choice (especially without a lid). Furthermore, they do well in that tank size, and they have a super personality. 

I'm probably beating a dead horse, and I'm sure you're already on top of it, but keep in the back of your mind that  increasing the bioload that early (especially in a small tank), you'll want to watch out for a second 'mini-cycle."

Other possibilies: 

-possum wrasse (you can tell by my avatar that I don't like them)

-another nano goby (GBG, eviota, griessingeri goby, trimma)

-shrimp goby (YWG, Tasha, Dracula)

-pipefish

-African fancy gumdrop coral croucher (affectionately AFGCC)

-firefish (need lid)

-hypo tang (great choice, everyone loves Dory)

-toby puffer 

-blenny ( TSB, Midas, etc)

-assessor? (Not sure)

Check out some of the other 10 gallon build threads to get an idea. 

NOTE: don't get a hypo tang.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

Cannedfish- wow! Thank you so much, awesome response. 

I'll have to consider a blenny. They definitely haven't been at the top of my list, but now I think I'll look into them a little more. 

I'm making sure to keep an eye on the tank chemistry. So far, so good. Everything has been at 0 since the cycle has completed. :) 

As far as your fish suggestions, love them! 

-Ive considered he possum wrasse, they are awfully cute.

-I'd love to just have 10 little gobies bouncing around in there. Love gobies of all types. :) 

-I have to say.... I'm kind of obsessed with the African fancy gumdrop coral croucher. I thought at first you were making that up. Definitely high on the list now. 

-Firefish, love them as well, would consider putting a lid on it for one. 

-A Toby? Really? I LOVE puffers, I'd be thrilled to have one. 

I am one that loves hermits and mine have not even gone after snails that were flipped over. 

Scarlet hermits and Halloween are great.

Snails also don't clean up the same way hermits do.

A 10g is too small for A 6 line. They need a lot of swimming rm and often become aggressive in small tanks.

A cool blenny would be great. Bicolor, starry, Midas, or tailspot all have great personality.

I would also go slow on additions. The tank is only 5 weeks old.

12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I am one that loves hermits and mine have not even gone after snails that were flipped over. 

Scarlet hermits and Halloween are great.

Snails also don't clean up the same way hermits do.

A 10g is too small for A 6 line. They need a lot of swimming rm and often become aggressive in small tanks.

A cool blenny would be great. Bicolor, starry, Midas, or tailspot all have great personality.

I would also go slow on additions. The tank is only 5 weeks old.

I love my hermits so far, I think they are so cute! I'm also enjoying their little trails in the sand.

I've decided to pass on the 6line, at least for now. They are so gorgeous but I'm afraid I might end up with a bully. 

I'm beginning to like blennies a bit more. 

Ive decided that my next addition will be a cherub angel, depending on if my LFS can get one in for me or not. After watching some YouTube vids of people having them in 10-20 gallon reefs, one of those seems like a good addition. Pretty peaceful, doesn't need the swimming room a wrasse does, and very pretty. 

Ive got lots of live rock and I am super on top of parameters, so I'm comfortable adding another fish at the end of the week. :)

I'm sure it has been and could be done, but 10 gallons seems really small for cherub. There is definitely room for internet disagreement (surprise!), but LiveAquaria's minimum tank size is a good starting barometer of suggested tank size, and they suggest 55 gallons for a cherub, downsizing to a 10 may be a on the optimistic/pushing it side. Similarly, I optimistically try to fit into my college pants every now and again, and much like fish tanks it leads to feels of uncomfortableness and humorous unflattering bulges.  Plus many have reported their propensity to nip (cherub's not overly tight madras pants). So maybe it was a blessing they didn't have them.

What about some sort of fun basslet? Like a swalesi or yellow assessor. 

I think much much like my TS Blenny (Blenwood), I should probably head to the gym... or the not Taco Bell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey there!

A 10 gallon tank is a nice and fun sized first tank. Is it the Nuvo 10 Gallon? 

As others have mentioned, 5 weeks is a bit early (actually, it's really early) in your tank's life cycle. Take it a bit slow and watch your tank cycle, you already have a cute little yellow guy bumbling around the tank. Right now your tank's biological filtration needs to develop and by adding in more livestock it'll make your algae bloom even more. Algae use all the waste in the tank to grow, so the more waste = more algae, which is definitely something you don't want to have to fight early on in your reefing career (some people quit because of all of the algae issues). As your tank matures, it'll be able to handle your bioload better.

I would wait a few more weeks to see how your tank changes and perhaps add a Tailspot Blenny. They're readily available, stay small, affordable, eat algae, and have the most puppy like personality. They leave little kiss marks on the glass where they grazed you'll always want one after owning one.

Nothing good happens fast in the hobby, only crashes haha. So definitely take it slow, plan out how you want your tank (look into coral ideas), and make a time line for yourself. It'll help against those impulse buys which might just make your time with your tank harder.

Also, if your tank is new and doesn't have much coral you can lessen your light cycle to only a few hours a day. If there's no corals you're pretty much just turning on a light to grow algae haha.

• Like 3

I wouldn't put an angel in a 10g. Stick to nano fish.

Things you see on YouTube aren't always advisable. Some may do it but how long does the fish live for and how healthy is the tank long term??

On 11/7/2017 at 9:25 PM, sydney.grace said:

Cannedfish- wow! Thank you so much, awesome response. 

I'll have to consider a blenny. They definitely haven't been at the top of my list, but now I think I'll look into them a little more. 

I'm making sure to keep an eye on the tank chemistry. So far, so good. Everything has been at 0 since the cycle has completed. :) 

As far as your fish suggestions, love them! 

-Ive considered he possum wrasse, they are awfully cute.

-I'd love to just have 10 little gobies bouncing around in there. Love gobies of all types. :) 

-I have to say.... I'm kind of obsessed with the African fancy gumdrop coral croucher. I thought at first you were making that up. Definitely high on the list now. 

-Firefish, love them as well, would consider putting a lid on it for one. 

-A Toby? Really? I LOVE puffers, I'd be thrilled to have one. 

Be aware the coral crouchers are mildly venomous.  Just something to be cautious with. :) Pink-streaked wrasses are similar in shape to a six line but similar in personality to a possum wrasse.  Green banded gobies are cuties too!

amgreefkeeper

A nice wrasse would probably be your best bet, it'll make a nice center piece fish, looks pretty exotic which is what you want out of a reef aquarium. Here's a link to a wrasse that seems to be suitable for a 10g:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3043/tanakas-pygmy-wrasse?pcatid=3043&c=15+2124+3043

Despite the fact that people say clowns need more space, I've had quite different experiences. I've had a pair of clowns (by themselves with a couple of snails) for a while in a 12 gallon DIY tank and they did really well. I've moved them into a 24gallon cube now. I initially added a firefish in there with them and they were extremely aggressive towards it, I had to return it to my LFS. Had no choice because it would be eaten if I moved it into my bigger tank and I had disassembled my 12. My experience with clowns is that a pair does fine on their own but they've been super aggressive to any other fish I add into the 24 gallon, so I could only imagine how they'd be if I attempted it in my 12 gallon.

My advice: stick to the nano fish for sure. I've seen a lot of people setup nano tanks and try to jam baby tangs or similar fish in them just because they looked like they would fit as juveniles. I know there's not as big of a selection with a smaller tank, but work within the suitable nano fish and see what you like. Look into compatibility between nano fish, just make sure it's not a case of one fish being able to swallow the other - if it's not the case and it's just a possibility of mild aggression problems, I've had the opportunity to return fish to my LFS hassle free so I've been able to do a lot of trial and error. A lot of fish that they say aren't compatible with others have actually worked very very well for me.

I wouldn't put angelfish unless its super temporary. I let my cousin do it for a few months in a 20 gallon with a lot of live rock because we were putting together an 80 gallon. I felt terrible for the fish, it was really suffering and you could tell it didn't have enough room to swim, and that was in 20 gallons. 

The key to success is to add the firefish close to full grown and the clowns as babies.  From past experience this seems to work quite well and the clowns arent nearly ass aggressive to the FF.

• 3 years later...