ReefCleaners.org

AC500 Fuge with Pics

smoothlarryhughes

I just used silicon for the grill, worked fine since it doesn't have to be waterproof http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I tried an exacto knife on my AC lid...that didn't work out so well. The AC lid cracks really easy.

A fine bladed hack saw worked fine on my acrylic. But with that said, the local plastic shop made some free cuts on my acrylic which I bought at the shop for all of $3.95 cdn.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
clifford513

Have you had any problems from the Household Goop, Flugelnuss? I had the wife pick up a tube from HD today and noticed that on the back of the package it specifically says not for food or aquarium use. Have I gotten the wrong Goop? Any one else notice this? I'm ready to complete the mod but afraid to use the Goop. Whadya think???

clifford513

Anyone care to comment on this? I think several here have used this product. Any info would be appreciated.

I've never had any problems with the household goop. It's been like almost a year now that I have had my fuge running. Just make sure you let it dry for a day or even better a week, and then cure it wit salt water for like a week... patience is the key.

• 4 weeks later...
i have crabs

I think someone has actually done that. Do a little more research on here and you should find the thread it was on.

• 2 months later...

I just made my own fuge from an AC500, and it was unbelievably simple. I'm also an aquarium n00b.

Took a CD case, cut it to fit, GOOPed it in. There's a small leak at one bottom corner right now, so I'm going to apply more GOOP this evening. It seems to cure within 24 hours, too, which is nice. I also took the "stock" grated piece of plastic, made minor alterations to that, and GOOPed it in front of the output spout of the AC, to help hold in anything large, such as algae.

My question is about LR and LS. How many pounds of each can this thing hold without breaking anything? I just ordered 2lbs. of LS and two 3lb. pieces of LR...figuring only one will actually fit. What have the rest of you used?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

I put my AC500 together last night with some mineral mud and macro.

the flow was a bit much, I was going to trim the impeller to see if it would quell the flow a little but I was having trouble getting it out without draining it..

So, I started goofing around.

took the black shroud off the end of the siphon tube.

and lifted the siphon tube up and inserted a 1/4"ish spacer under it. The spacer being a scrap section of the AGA rear plastic seal for the glass versa tops.

got the flow to cut down a TON.

quick and ghetto.

I followed the designs in this thread, and from http://www.californiareefs.com/tank7reef.htm

by the way, the AC500 is now called the AC110... the old name was how many GPH it moves, the new is the max tank sive is can run acording to them. Way to go Hagen for making the name even more vauge! Go figure!?

The filter body with bafle and over flow screen

15106DSC00768.JPG

I cut this hole in the lid with a RotoZip... super easy... great tool.

15106DSC00773.JPG

6700K 28watt PC retrofit which will sit right over the cutout.

15106DSC00774.JPG

I'll pot some more pics when I get it up and runing.

Jared

just a piece of plexy. Also, I've changed my lighting to an incandescent strip with a 20Watt Coralife mini pc 50/50 bulb.

I just picked up an aquaclear 300 and am going to make a nice fuge! I cant wait! I hear about a lot of people using that goop but on the package it says not to use in an aquarium....

Anyone find a glue thats ok to use?

I used goop, no ill effects, just make sure you give it a week to cure and if you really wanted to , after the first week "cure" the goop in salt water. Just fill up the filter with water change water.

• 5 months later...

So far I have modded 3, of the AC 110/500 hob for fuge's and what I do is use the foam I have in place to govern my flow into the fuge portion. I have one baffle in the fuge chamber approx 1 1/4" away from the baffle that fits directly against the chamber the pump impeller is in. If I use 1 1/4" thick foam for mechanical filtration it lsows the water flow substantially into the fuge, or I can go with 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick foam and the flow into the fuge and the outflow increases dramatically. Initially I followed everyones advice on shaving down the impeller, removing the black ring etc etc, but I can get best results (for my preferances) with everyhting in place and no impeller mod with varying mechanical foam filter pad thickness. I also cut my foam in a sort of L shape. SInce my filtration pad chamaber is approx 1.25" if I insert a full 1.25 inch piece of foam the flow is reduced a lot, nut then I cut a piece of 1.25 inch foam down so that the long leg is say 3/4" and the shortleg is still 1.25", then turn foam upside down or invert that L shape foam and insert it in the chamber. The thicker portion is on the top and where the majorioty of the flow is the foam is only 3/4". You can then also flip it over and have the thicker foam on the bottom if need be.........and you still have the ability with the flow adjust method to move tube left or right for less or more flow.

I'm considering doing this to my new 10 gallon but its in my bedroom and noise is an issue. What are your experiences with the AC500/110, as every HOB I've had unless they are of the mini variety were noisey clunky things that went into the trashcan. Why I still have my old Emperor 400 I don't know....but I've heard AC brands are really quiet so far.

What brand and size (wattage) heaters are you using?

it really depends on the size of your tank. because the waterline of the ac500 is about 7-8inches high(thats with the high flow). most 50watt and 25 watt heaters fit perfectly standing up in the fuge, but the 100watt are too large

i have a hydor theo 100watt in my ac500. the heater is 8.9 inches tall and the min water line is about 6.5-7inches on the heater. i have a 20gallon. i had to look everywhere for this heater(couldnt order it online).

most people with the smaller tanks get the stealth heaters.(black with the red knob)

Archived