Cultivated Reef

Try not to Wine

alprejean

set it up this afternoon and forgot to take some pictures of it dry :( so i might have to pull it all out tomorrow and get pictures :) 

IMG_0989.thumb.JPG.6f77992789f0f7d0ebc031f0aaf55c6c.JPGIMG_0982.thumb.JPG.095c9af40f22320a4dabdb636a5ad7e2.JPG

TANK : glass bow    (had)

SUBSTRATE : three hand fulls of dry PINK FIJI    (had)

AQUASCAPE : three dry rocks    (had)

WATER : Fritz saltwater   (had)

POWERHEAD : Aqua Culture aquarium air pump and tubing   (bought... from walmart)

LIGHTING : Rapid LED Par 38 mixed color   (plan to buy)

WATER VOLUME : with sand and rock 1.3125 gallons 

i plan on throwing a small rock from another tank in it to kick start the cycle. since im starting this tank from dry, i may be behind others starting with live sand and rock but im ok with that. i cant wait to see how this goes, ive always loved seeing pico tanks

• Like 2

The light seen above is Fluval 7800k aqualife&plant led lol one of my friends from my LFS hooked me up with today. I dont really plan on using it, though i kinda want to try it lol but i may get a 50/50 pc bulb... and yes 50/50 will grow pretty much all lps and softies. really trying to keep this low budget, is that not the point of small tanks? the light above will grow fine but the color of the coral will more than likely suffer from it. we will play it out when the time comes, for now get your picos going  

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, alprejean said:

The light seen above is Fluval 7800k aqualife&plant led lol one of my friends from my LFS hooked me up with today. I dont really plan on using it, though i kinda want to try it lol but i may get a 50/50 pc bulb... and yes 50/50 will grow pretty much all lps and softies. really trying to keep this low budget, is that not the point of small tanks? the light above will grow fine but the color of the coral will more than likely suffer from it. we will play it out when the time comes, for now get your picos going  

Plus the light on there currently falls outside the contest restrictions so it couldn't be used anyway. ;)

• Like 3

so i got rid of the air pump and tube for now and dropped in a powerhead i took of an old IM skimmate :) rated for 158 gph. with that being too much flow i cut a piece of plastic and glued it on to the main inlet of the pump and using just the air line inlet to pull water in. it has cut the rate down to a perfect flow. the reason for going with the powerhead now is to try to get away with no heater, again im trying to keep cost as low as i can. ive seen people saying their powerhead is keeping their tank at a nice temp so ill give it a try. LFS gave me a 20w coralife 50/50 bulb lol been sitting in the store forever i would think :) i went to three stores to find a desk lamp that would fit this 8" bulb with no luck :( so i may have to diy a lamp. im thinking of making it out of a wine bottle to compliment the wine glass tank. to cut the bottle long ways will be a challenge though.

20171030_195038.thumb.jpg.472877c9a1ca062d191791e8f4b4b165.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...