Innovative Marine Aquariums

Are my Kenya trees dying?

Yumarattler

I bought a couple Kenya tree frags 1.5 weeks ago and they have been great until yesterday. They were retracted and not open like normal. I looked at them this morning and the are leaning over and retracted. They are in low flow and the same spot they have been since I introduced them to the tank. Tank is a 24 gallon with a salinity of 1.025, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 ppm nitrates. All other corals look good. Temp of 78

A1D14794-A9E3-4BE3-9D2E-4EDAEC001945.jpeg

E752885A-323A-4638-A066-93C6D1A40BDA.jpeg

Leathers shrink up and wax over to shed detritus. This is normal once in a while.

Leathers don't like low flow. Low flow allows things to settle on them which irritates them. 

• Like 1

Are Kenya trees a leather coral?  I tried having them in heavier flow but they were bent over like it was blowing them over so I assumed it needed less flow. Thanks for taking the time to always comment and help. 

Leather corals can take some time to adjust. During this acclimation time they will be smaller, limp and lay over. Give them some time and they should perk up. Higher flow is better and they will be able to stand up in it once they acclimate.

It took my leather toadstool 3 weeks to fully expand and stand up for an entire day.

I just changed lights and it decided go limp. It has been that way for about 3 days now and is waxing over.

It is not unusually for leathers to go through periods of time where they are like this. I call mine Mr. Sensitive lol

MainelyReefer

I was secretly happy when my pistol Shrimp went ham snapping at the Kenya coral that was my first ever coral, he shredded it then buried it, GONE! That coral stressed me out with its finicky ways.  Never grew a bit for a whole year.  I wouldn't worry about yours unless something goes Rambo on it I'm sure it won't die 

For a couple days they were full and looked great and then this happened which is why it worried me. They weren’t leaning over today so I took that as a good sign. The light color purple to the left of the tree with the holes in it... is that the sponge or is the darker purple on the right the sponge or do the guy give me wrong information?  The light purple has that arm that swoops left that has grown about 1/2 inch in a week or so. 872788E9-A410-4DAD-8DFC-4861AA8AFF0D.thumb.jpeg.9c32793256d0e1a8fb6a62f36b21040f.jpeg

The sponge is the stuff with the holes. 

Sometimes they can irritate corals, although I have not experienced that myself.

All my leathers have done better with good flow and good light.

Not directly in flow but enough to remove detritus.