Coral Vue Hydros

can you grow coral on bones

jokersbean

i'm new (shocking right,) but i was wanting to know if it would be possible to grow coral on a European deer head mount? (only bone and antlers)  I have been trying to find answers on this but no clear answers, any help on this subject would be great, i was wanting to have a couple scorpion fish, deer head for them to perch on, and a couple different colored corals to make the skull pop as the center piece.

thanks for your time 

geoff

• Like 1

I don't see an issue with it. You will want to throw in some more porous rocks for improved biological filtration though.

One thing you will need to do is make sure the skull is really clean. Then I would soak it in some RO/DI or distilled water for a day or two. After that, test the water to see if it is leaching any phosphates/nitrates or anything like that.

This would be a sweet tank to see set up. 

Im no expert in chemistry but I know a thing or two...  Bones are made of calcium carbonate and calcium phosphate.  Those two compounds aren't very water soluble, meaning they more than likely won't have any effect on the water like dissolving or leaching anything, but Im not 100% sure.  The reason I say I am not sure is because I've only ran lab tests in my medical chemistry classes on bones (calcium carbonate/phosphate) in DI Water, therefore Im not really sure as to what effect saltwater would have on it.  Another thing to consider is "will this thing float or sink?" because I think it'll more than likely float.

• Like 1

I agree

It could be sick, do it. I personally would add sub curing step

Have a skull prepared, as much to zero organic matter and that includes places like the micro ducts

Then soak it in diluted bleach

Then sun baked before things get too cool outside

Then hydrate it again in clean water for a couple days, begin taking it out and smelling really well all over... Any organic leftovers?

If not, plate that in echinopora and take home frag of the decade.

Given what skulls are made of my GUESS is that this would be safe (and hardcore). Biggest possible concern would be leftover chemicals or organic matter from cleaning the skull, both of which could be solved by soaking it for a while in a tub of water.

I'd try it. If you try it, let us know how it works out. 

I would be worried about bacteria eating the collagen in the bones and causing it to crumble. About 10-15% of bone mass is collagen and water soluble elements so if bacteria do end up attacking the collagen it will cause it to collapse. Otherwise, the bones a pretty much insoluble.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TILTON said:

Was it bleached?  Wonder if that would be any issue?

Bleaching rock is a typical procedure to restore it to "dry" condition, as long as it is allowed to gas-off and rinsed well thats not a problem. 

• Like 1

I googled it:  "average density of human bone is 3880 kg / m3 in males and 2900 kg / m3 in females, compared to that the density of sea water is 1020 kg / m3 which would not be able to keep the skeleton afloat."

My vote:  give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

edit- my quote says it was for human bone.  i'd imagine a deer bone would be similar.  right?

Edited by TatorTaco
english is hard.

WOW feedback was amazing thank you all, i'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

ill post back in a couple months once i get my head back from the taxidermy and have gone through the curing process

I'm open to any other ideas, keep the suggestions coming 

thanks again

3 hours ago, jokersbean said:

WOW feedback was amazing thank you all, i'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

ill post back in a couple months once i get my head back from the taxidermy and have gone through the curing process

I'm open to any other ideas, keep the suggestions coming 

thanks again

Oh so what process is it going through at the taxidermist? 

taxidermist is boil and bleaching and was going to mount it, but i told him what i was doing. I asked the taxidermist about the idea but got a "idonknow" lol , i like Brandon's suggestion on curing again.

• 5 years later...