Coral Vue Hydros

Intersting article on electricity in a reef

fade2black

There's a few articles about that on here already. I looks pretty cool, and hopefully it'll help regenerate the reefs. Unfortunately I don't think it can be done in a closed system.

humans just cant leave anything alone. not even their destruction. this is just people doing what does not 'need' to be done so they can go 'look what i did! i 'grew' a reef, and i did it FAST!'.

its just like dumping trash (concrete refuse and rusty ships) in the ocean to 'create' a reef. when i do it it is called 'polluting', when they do it its called 'creating an eco-system'.

nalbar

that was some cool stuff...thanks for the heads up this is my first time hearing about this.

Im not sure it would work either. i had an aquaglobe crack on me and was letting out a bit of 12v current i noticed it the next day, and it was covered in salt..the salt had fused on it...but who knows maybe it can be done just at an appropriate level....They dont really explain the reason to the rhyme though...why does this work?..does it give corals another form of energy...does it create electromagnetic currents thus attracting more food particles?

Im not sure it would work either. i had an aquaglobe crack on me and was letting out a bit of 12v current i noticed it the next day, and it was covered in salt..the salt had fused on it...but who knows maybe it can be done just at an appropriate level....
I'm pretty sure that electricity through saltwater creates sodium hydroxide, hydrogen gas and chlorine gas, which can't be great for your tank.

They dont really explain the reason to the rhyme though...why does this work?..does it give corals another form of energy...does it create electromagnetic currents thus attracting more food particles?
I think the corals can receive energy through electrolysis, much like your muscles contract when electricicy is applied. And I think the magnetic field disturbs the growth of algae that would, under normal circumstances, take over.

Yeah, I was looking for specific as as well, like how much voltage and current they were running through this grid. At least they are attempting to help the reefs and not just standing around doing nothing. :)

Yeah, I was looking for specific as as well, like how much voltage and current they were running through this grid. At least they are attempting to help the reefs and not just standing around doing nothing.
I believe they said, in a week, the entire system uses what a 60w lightbulb uses in a month. So the total 1000' system uses only ~240-250w.
think you can break it down any further to do...lets say a 30G nano/mini? I would but i suck at math
I would need to know the correct voltage. That would be a constant. The current would change depending on the resistance of the conductor.

Besides, this probably isn't a good experiment to try at home. Unless you have a very extensive lab setup, you're asking for trouble... maybe even death.

Like I said before, electrolysis of SW produces hydrogen gas, chlorine gas and sodium-hydroxide. Chlorine gas will literally melt your lungs, so you need a proper vent hood. We all know chlorine in your tank is a bad thing too!

And hydrogen is extremely explosive, so every electrical fitting would have to be explosion-proof. When I worked at a naptha (camp fuel) filling company, it cost us hundreds of dollars for a single explosion-proof emergency power switch for the filling room. I couldn't even imagine what the whole room would cost to outfit.

Also, sodium-hydroxide is EXTREMELY alkaline! A little bit would put your pH and alk off the chart!

Archived