Cultivated Reef

Photographing with AI Prime HD

holy carp

Has anyone found a good blend of the channels on the AI Prime HD (presumably same/similar setting as the Hydra HD) for taking photographs?  

I'd like to find some settings that bring out the coral colors without flooding the camera sensor with blues.  As great as the light looks in real life, I've been getting awful photos.  Gel filters are fine, but more ideal when taking images of just the corals as opposed to the tank and surrounding space.  I was hoping that adjusting the lighting might accomplish good results without filters or Photoshop.

Thrassian Atoll

Are you using your phone?  Only way to get good photos with your phone with any led is to turn the blues way down from what I have seen.

I used to tune my old Hydra 26HD to about 15000 to 16000 K preset color on the AI app for photo.  That should require minimal photo adjustment afterward.  I kept my tank at 18000-20000K preset color normally.

What's this about AI Prime HD?  different tank? 

Thanks.

Yes, I'm trying to use my phone - Galaxy S8.  The white balance can be manually adjusted to 10k°K on the phone, but I wasn't having very good luck with it.  Often it would actually turn the image purplish instead of blue.

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2017 at 6:39 PM, holy carp said:

Thanks.

Yes, I'm trying to use my phone - Galaxy S8.  The white balance can be manually adjusted to 10k°K on the phone, but I wasn't having very good luck with it.  Often it would actually turn the image purplish instead of blue.

https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Universal-Speedlite-Filters-Photography/dp/B00MA9HF3O/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1512135095&sr=8-32&keywords=Orange+filter

Buy one of these and use one of the orange filters that looks best. I just tape it on my camera or phone. 

-Dave

• Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Universal-Speedlite-Filters-Photography/dp/B00MA9HF3O/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1512135095&sr=8-32&keywords=Orange+filter

Buy one of these and use one of the orange filters that looks best. I just tape it on my camera or phone. 

-Dave

I bought an orange filter for my iphone, and it didn't change the affect for some reason.  The little macro lens works great though.

Just now, TILTON said:

I bought an orange filter for my iphone, and it didn't change the affect for some reason.  The little macro lens works great though.

You have to try different orange filters. Some will have a stronger orange and others with less. The cheap kits on Amazon normally have 3-8 orange colors. Also try stacking them.

Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, DaveFason said:

You have to try different orange filters. Some will have a stronger orange and others with less. The cheap kits on Amazon normally have 3-8 orange colors. Also try stacking them.

I can try that.  I bought a kit with filters and different little lenses.  I really want to try the orange filter I picked up too for my Canon.  

• 1 month later...