SaltCritters.com

Super narrow(3x36x16")tank build idea

Drunkentrader

Drunkentrader

Spotted an odd sized acrylic tank and thought it would be time for another tank - I've had a few saltwater reeftanks - pico, nano, and 50 gallon.)

Is is this idea crazy insane or just insane crazy?

I realize this is a very odd build, but think of how easy it would be to accomplish lighting! Lol. 

Any creative ideas or not-so-obvious concerns you'd like to share? If my math is correct, this tank equates to around 7.5 gallons. For livestock I was thinking of a few sexy shrimp and maybe a yellow or a neon goby or two -- bad idea on adding fish(es)?

A05DF4C2-B97A-4FE2-8269-BE9CEE5FC727-2297-000001D6CF61AA98.jpeg

• Wow 1
flatlandreefer

I think aquascaping would be tough if you want any rock structure at all to glue frags to.  I dont know if you could mount acans, zoas, gsp, encrusting montis, etc to the back and have a light source that kind of angles towards the front of the tank to eliminate shading problems that you would have lighting from the top.  I think you could potentially make it a cool tank it would just take some creativity on your part.  Flow and filtration would be you other issue that you would need to address.  I think there are a few small fish that could work.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017 at 7:23 AM, flatlandreefer said:

mount acans, zoas, gsp, encrusting montis, etc to the back and have a light source that kind of angles towards the front of the tank to eliminate shading problems that you would have lighting from the top.

i second this idea. basically have a top down tank when viewed from the side

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, psidriven said:

i second this idea. basically have a top down tank when viewed from the side

how would you achieve this without light directly in front of the tank?  Everything will grow towards the light source.

4 hours ago, R_Pierce said:

how would you achieve this without light directly in front of the tank?  Everything will grow towards the light source.

Hanging it similar to spot lights on artwork.  You would have to build a custom mount.

Could do a bunch or gorgonians with inverts and nano gobies. Use a canister filter or rely on sand, powerhead and water-changes for nutrient control. it can be done easily and would be very cool

• 2 weeks later...
Drunkentrader

Ha. Thanks for all he replies! The tank ended up bowing out at the center and totally spoiled the idea for me. 

Ended up up going to pet smart to try to pickup a flubal Evo sea 12, but none in stock so I bought 15 gallon column tank and have had it going for about 30 days with about 25 pounds of dry rock and a $50 led light assembly I hacked into the stock hood. Coming along nicely. Just need to rearrange my “pile of rocks” into a more creative aquascape. 

Pic is with my lights dimmed down to evening time. 

B0D67249-87B0-413F-BF42-7E5C44EB22DA.jpeg

And another pic with the lights at daytime spectrum. Here you can see the shelf live rock I bought for the ant farm tank. Tons of hitchhikers and Zoas on it so I decided to keep it to seed my dry rock(Fuji and Central Texas Cretaceous reef rock)

52D2A2B1-C0F0-4532-ADA4-5AB50B67D8D0.jpeg

• Like 2
Drunkentrader

I anyone in San Diego wants my ant farm tank they can have it for a small barter trade(just trade me anything I can put to use in my new tank). I think with a clamp or two pinching the top you can prevent it from bowing. The tank never leaked. I left it out on my patio and considered a planted tetra and guppy tank, but decided not to fool around with it. 

Thunder Goose

I have a similarly shaped (but smaller) container. I have some mangroves planted in it. I'm thinking of adding some tiny hermit crabs and nothing else. Of course when I say smaller... it's less than a gallon. Not sure it's big enough for even tiny hermits.

• 2 months later...
Drunkentrader

Tank now. Interrupted half-sleepy time for the firefish and coral, but the clown(edit: I could be talking about us both) is always hammin’it up. 

D6CC6F4A-44DA-428A-961D-74A948B07200.jpeg

63B59FEC-6F35-45E4-A0D5-7B53F24C9655.jpeg

CFE1C3ED-DE1F-43F2-9EE3-94435AE89C7E.jpeg

DD75817A-6A15-4D74-B9DB-257B46DBD5E9.jpeg

27A774BD-7D25-457F-A62A-03BFF63FBFF7.jpeg

11BE9BA4-F3D6-4B95-9A64-2A1560ADAEDA.jpeg

Oh, and the ant farm is considering repurposing itself as an outdoor hydroponics planter... gonna grow something that will make’r worth the effort ?