inTank Media Baskets

Best Salt Mix

Hans-Moleman

Hans-Moleman

which salt mix would you recommend. Tropic Marin, Oceanic, Red Sea, Instant Ocean? Plus, where is a good place to buy salt mixes online. I live by petsmart and all they have is Instant Ocean. Thanks for your advice.

• 2 months later...
AReeferIsExpensive

IO works good for me because its EVERYWHERE, so if i ever had an "emergency" i could go to any LFS and be guaranteed to find it and also, i dont have to do ANYTHING to my water..just mix, wait a couple hours, and drop it in.

• 3 weeks later...

In my area the only brands available are Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals and Kent. Can I get by with one of these instead of shipping heavy bags of salt?

Mark

I use Nutri-Sea water. No mixing or filtering. It cuts tanks maintenance down to practically nothing. For about $8/month, it's worth it to me.

I use SEACHEM reef salt , a fast mixer, contains no drying agents (in the form of silica , fumed silica inparticular.) mix is a bit moist as a result. No sodium theosulfate, ( common tapwater declorinator) who mixes with tap water any way? and does not use magnesium chloride or calcium chloride as source of these two elements. both of these release trace amounts of free ammonia when mixed. Not the end of the world, because it is diluted with mix water and most likely rapidly absorbed by the tanks bio- filter anyway, but who needs it,, check it out, on your next mix test for ammonia,,, check out seachems website for details . anyway sorry for rambling i just really like this salt

That's great that Shimek took the time to do the study, but how relevant is survival of sea urchin larvae to growing corals? Hard to say what this really means for the average nano-reefer.

There is a much better study on artifical sea salts that was done by Marlin Atkinson and Craig Bingman. It was published in the old Aquarium Frontiers online mag- I couldn't find it now except for this link through about.com. It was also published as a PEER-REVIEWED manuscript in the scientific literature...something Shimek didn't take the time to do.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...s/1/default.asp

FWIW, I've had great success raising fish (Banggais) and growing and propagating all types of corals (SPS, LPS, zoanthids, corallimorphs, soft corals), keeping Tridacna clams, sponges, seagrasses etc over a 15 year period using nothing but Instant Ocean. It's cheap, it's fairly close to natural seawater and it's widely available.

I've heard Oceanic salt is simply some other brand in different packaging...any comments?

Not saying that sea urchin study was that relevant, I was more interested in the composition of the salts that were broken down later in the article. Instant Ocean and Corallife had extremely large concentrations of copper, etc. in them vs other salts, and that information was mainly obtained from the manufacturers directly or from the study that you mentioned. Not knocking IO, I used it up until recently, just thought that the info was interesting.

Dr. Saltwater

Hi Hans Moleman! (Name sounds very ... Dutch!)

The best results with different brands of salt were proven by:

- Reef Crystals!

- Topic marine PRO!

By good results I mean the quantity and quality of your waterparameters after dissolving this salt in (RO-)water AND in the way I dissolve the salt.

If you want good results (duh) with mixing salt, do it in following orders:

Step 1:

Fill a bucket/barrel with RO water.

Step 2:

Let the water come to a temprature, with a heater ofcourse, of 77F (25°C) and place a strong powerhead in the bucket/barrel. Just one you are not using in your tank.

Step 3:

Check if the water has the wright temperature. Than measure 35grams/0.264172Gallon almost equals 140grams/1Gallon (35grams/1Liter) salt off exactly and sprinkle it over the top of the water. Don't throw everything in directly! Let it stay with the heather and powerhead for 4-6 Hours.

Step 4:

After 4-6 hours check the saltlevel (SG) and correct it with the wright quantity of water/salt (water more often if used to much salt). If corrected or allright let it stay for 24 hours to let the salt dissolve good.

Step 5:

After 24 hours the water will be very sharp/clear and ready for use!

• 2 months later...
ReefTankForMe

is it ok to use different brands of salt? I currently use Coralife but may switch if I find something better or a better deal. Is it ok to use two diff brands in the same tank?

i should be fine- i do it all the time- switch mostly from marinemix to instant ocean and back and forth depending on our store supply.. this is pretty interesting:

"Both of the salts that had good larval survivability are readily available at reasonable prices. The Crystal Sea Marinemix-Bioassay Formulation is not commonly available to hobbyists, being designed and marketed for bioassay laboratories. However, it is available online from various vendors. The Crystal Sea Marinemix - Bioassay Formulation is essentially the same as standard Crystal Sea Marinemix which it differs from only in lacking the dechlorinator found in the latter salt (R. Spellman, pers. comm.). Standard Crystal Sea Marinemix and Bio-Sea Marinemix salts are widely available." -from taht article.

Originally posted by bikinibottom

This thread has been done about a dozen times. Do a search.

This thread was also started back in august. so ease up killa.;)

Archived