Cultivated Reef

neon gobies

harsaphes

Hi everyone....just curious why i never see neon gobies listed in anyones tanks....im just starting to think about putting together a tank and thought they would be a good choice...and you can get them tank raised.

I have a yellow watchman goby; it's a very bright yellow--is this what you're refering to? If so, they are awesome, especially if paired with a pistol shrimp.

neon gobies are much smaller. Usually black and neon blue. I haven't had one in my home tank, but the ones at work seem to be active and docile. Looks like a good choice to me.

My lfs has one in there 5g. They also have a goby thats the same size as the neon, but is almost see through with a red or orange head in the same 5g tank.

The neon goby was the first fish I put in my first nano, I will always keep one they are cool and have good colors. Most of the really vibrant fish are A-holes.

I have a neon goby in my 5 gallon and i love her. She's very colorful and likes to perch on the rocks in my tank. She was very shy at first, but is begining to come out more. Just make sure when you buy one that they didn't come in recently and make sure that the one you buy eats in the store "stella" ate like a champ, and was really active, which is why i think she is doing well in my tank now.

Hmm interesting, I always had heard that they need a fair number of tankmates since they acquire some of their food via parasite removal (and that they might harass tankmates in confined conditions).

Do they have any sort of aggression towards say clown gobies or shrimp gobies? I might have to consider one if that isn't the case. :happy:

I have a 12 gallon nano with one blue neon and a true percula clown being the only fish. The neon never exhibits any agressive behavior at all. Well, that's not exactly true. I did see him try to nudge my pederson's cleaner shrimp out of the way when it was cleaning my clown, but that was just funny to watch. The pederson nudged back. Now they tank turns. The clown looks like someone at a spa, just letting the masseuses take turns on him. Very funny!

The cleaning is only part of their diet. Mine eats pods off the live rock, as well as brine shrimp that I feed the clown. I also use Formula One that I grind into fine bits with a small hand blender. He occasionally eats some of the bits that land on the rock or sand.

My Neon cleans my False Percs, but also eats anything that I feed my clownfish (frozen or flake). Between my Red Head Goby and my Neon Goby, there are not many pods in my 15-gallon tank; however, I do have a CPR HOB fuge, which I’m sure helps supply them with some pods.

Originally posted by DarkXerox

Hmm interesting, I always had heard that they need a fair number of tankmates since they acquire some of their food via parasite removal (and that they might harass tankmates in confined conditions).  

Do they have any sort of aggression towards say clown gobies or shrimp gobies?  I might have to consider one if that isn't the case.  :happy:

my neon eats anything i put in the tank, plankton, mysis, flake, brine, whatever. the cleaning is a bonus and not obligatory like a cleaner wrasse at all. i have seen no aggression at all between my high-fin goby and my neon goby, and i would imagine the same would be said of clown gobies as well.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to mention that everytime I stick my hand in my tank, my neon wants to clean my cuticles. Makes me wonder where they've been...

It's kinda neat though. I also noticed my cleaner shrimp doing his little dance everytime also. It's the dance they do to advertise that they're available to clean if you want them to. The neon comes to me, the shrimp tells me to come to him.

Archived