Cultivated Reef

Do I need a custom built tank?

atrane

Hi all! 

I have this old wetbar area that I would like to redo to add a saltwater tank.  I have previously only owned NanoCubes or all in one systems.  The dimensions for the area are 48" x 17", I am having a hard time finding a prebuilt tank for this area.  Do I need a custom made tank?  

IMG-2796.JPG

If you can't go out the extra 1" by adjusting the stand part or sticking out a little then: Yes a custom tank would work the best. If you decided to not use the whole area you can fit a 40G pretty easily.

2 minutes ago, atrane said:

Ok, I will look into a 40 gal then, that might just play nicely in there.  If I wanted to go bigger, should I just contact my LFS to get a custom one built? 

I would ask LFS, yes. They can get it in cheaper if they have several tanks coming in from supplier to reduce shipping if they will pass along savings to you.

Thrassian Atoll
40 minutes ago, atrane said:

So may be cheaper to just get individual parts? 

Yeah, I think it's going to be cheaper having a tank and sump built compared to buying a Red Sea tank or larger IM.  I don't know where your located but maybe take a look at Craigslist and see if you can find something used.  Now if your trying to stay under 50 gallons, I think an AIO would be fine and alright price wise.

If that space is 48" wide exactly, I'd take a tape measure to the pet store to measure a 75 gallon. The 75 gallon should be 48'' wide. It would stick forward 1 inch if it was flush to the back wall. I suspect that you want a little clearance back there, for plumbing and access. 

Otherwise yes, you'd need a custom size tank. I'd think about planning the whole thing out first - lights, outlets, sump, etc before you buy a tank. I think that a nice tanks come together when everything is well planned.

you can build one yourself if your willing to put the research in, Joey from kingofDIY on youtube has plenty of videos on the process, sites like http://garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp can tell you the exact measurements you can ask your local glass company to cut, and the thickness needed. Usually there are some bad apple glass companies who charged too much per foot, but others that will treat you right. just know that the taller the tank you plan to make, the thicker the glass has to be which can be extremely cost prohibitive. machine cutting the glass will also make the price dramatically more expensive.

for reference this method, I have a 24 x 15 x 14 AIO i've made for 56 dollars altogether (or 76 including the acrylic backwall and plumbing), where the nuvo fusion 20g is 200 dollars. the process itself to build it is only 20 minutes at most and easily done with a helper.

I did look at glasscages too but i believe I did not go through due to the costs and service tbh. (my quote was much higher than the nuvo's 20g price with shipping for something extremely close dimension-wise.)

I measured this morning, the countertop is all finished (put a new one in) and plumbing capped off.  I forgot to take pictures, will update soon with more.  The final dimensions are 

44" L x 15" W x 30" H  

at least that's what I visually think would be appealing, put down some painters tape to mark it off. I will check out Glasscages, and all the links,  thanks again to everyone, will let you know how it goes!  That's why I love this site! 

• 1 year later...