Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

first time using rodi

Clown79

I am finally ordering a spectrapure 4 stage rodi. I will be adding an additional stage for a chloramine carbon block...city uses chloramines and the water is very hard.

For the first time using the RODI, is there any special steps I should follow?

I am getting a flush kit, any recommendations on flushing the system? do you do just the membrane, carbon or both?

Do you test your water outside of tds, like chlorine/chloramine?

I keep reading about the waste ratio 4:1. Can anyone explain this further, I'm confused about this

Thrassian Atoll

You have a waste outlet along with the good water outlet.  The waste water should flow 4 times as much as the good water.   So if you had 2 buckets, you would have 1 with 4 gallons of bad water to 1 gallon of good water.   It's good to have the waste water draining into the sink or wherever so you don't have a huge bucket of waste water.

I flush my membrane for a couple of seconds before and after each use.  I started using the water after the tds was 0.  It took a little bit of running to get it to zero out.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, TILTON said:

You have a waste outlet along with the good water outlet.  The waste water should flow 4 times as much as the good water.  I flush my membrane for a couple of seconds before and after each use.  I started using the water after the tds was 0.  It took a little bit of running to get it to zero out.

How do figure out the flow rate of waste to good water?

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

How do figure out the flow rate of waste to good water?

I edited my post above, but have each drain into 2 separate buckets at first and you can see what your ratio is at.  Double check what the spectre is for waste to good water.  I know some of them have improved I think to have less waste water than 4:1.

If your filter says that the ratio of waste to good water is 4 to 1 then that's what it is.  Somewhere in the description or through the company you should be able to find out.  The flush only flushes the ro membrane.  I was told to do it for a minute and a half before and after filtering water.  I'm not sure if that is necessary or not.  If you wanted to test to see that chloramines are no longer in the water, bulk reef supply has some test strips that they would either send you or you could buy.

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose the spectrapure?  I've read that they may have finer filtering material so it lasts longer but was just curious.

Here is some information to test how different filters have depleted,

for the sediment filter - a drop in pressure (if you have a pressure gauge)

carbon block - chlorine / chloramine test

ro filter - 2 1/2 to 5 years (they said a 99% rejection rate but mine has always come out at 4 which is fine.  Of course the less you use it the less frequently it needs to be changed)

deionization filter - most change color so you can see how much is left as they deplete.

Here is a link to the test strips.  There is a video showing how to use them also,

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/insta-test-free-total-chlorine-strips-lamotte.html

• Like 1

I defintely flush the rodi 5-10 min before and after use and also make sure you have good water pressure like 50-60psi on your gauge if not you may wanna look into a booster pump. 

On 23/09/2017 at 1:25 AM, jeffmr4 said:

If your filter says that the ratio of waste to good water is 4 to 1 then that's what it is.  Somewhere in the description or through the company you should be able to find out.  The flush only flushes the ro membrane.  I was told to do it for a minute and a half before and after filtering water.  I'm not sure if that is necessary or not.  If you wanted to test to see that chloramines are no longer in the water, bulk reef supply has some test strips that they would either send you or you could buy.

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose the spectrapure?  I've read that they may have finer filtering material so it lasts longer but was just curious.

Here is some information to test how different filters have depleted,

for the sediment filter - a drop in pressure (if you have a pressure gauge)

carbon block - chlorine / chloramine test

ro filter - 2 1/2 to 5 years (they said a 99% rejection rate but mine has always come out at 4 which is fine.  Of course the less you use it the less frequently it needs to be changed)

deionization filter - most change color so you can see how much is left as they deplete.

Here is a link to the test strips.  There is a video showing how to use them also,

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/insta-test-free-total-chlorine-strips-lamotte.html

I went with spectrapure due to their good reputation amongst hobbiests. Plus it's a great price. The others were at out of my budget.

I'm in cda so there are 3 options available here for units.

The test strips cost $30 to ship to cda with hrs so I will have to find a place here that has some sort of test. 

Such a small thing could be placed in a bubble envelope and shipped USPS. 

Thank you for the info. Greatly appreciated.

Wasn't sure if I had to run a certain amount of water prior to using the unit.

The flushing debate is far and wide but most seem to do it before and after use. 

Now I have to wait for it to arrive.