Cultivated Reef

IM (nuvo) stockequipment

Lisa166

Hi all! 

I just purchased an IM nuvo 16g, which I got foreally cheap as the line is discontinued. 

(That was before I read about all the tanks cracking :blush:). 

Anyway, I am planning to start up the tank this weekend. At first I want to run it with the stock filtration and the stock lightning. I plan to make my own mediabaskets, as the intank ones are pretty expensive (I found them for 60 dollars, is that about correct!?). 

Anyway, I was wondering if more people still run the stock equipment or if everybody had upgraded everything?

Show me your tanks? 

:happy:

23 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Hi all! 

I just purchased an IM nuvo 16g, which I got foreally cheap as the line is discontinued. 

(That was before I read about all the tanks cracking :blush:). 

Anyway, I am planning to start up the tank this weekend. At first I want to run it with the stock filtration and the stock lightning. I plan to make my own mediabaskets, as the intank ones are pretty expensive (I found them for 60 dollars, is that about correct!?). 

Anyway, I was wondering if more people still run the stock equipment or if everybody had upgraded everything?

Show me your tanks? 

:happy:

Hi, Lisa166!

I'm a noob with basically the same questions. I'm considering purchasing an IM Fusion Nano 10 or 20 gallon, and it is my understanding that yes, most users upgrade the media basket, and in the case of the tanks I'm looking at, the return pump too. Yes, from what I can see the media baskets available seem to be very expensive. Perhaps someone with some more first-hand experience can tell us if we are missing something. Best of luck with your new tank!

-Detritus

I have recently set up a nuvo 10 gallons. I am using the IM upgraded media basket($25 for one I believe). The one the tank comes with is just a filter sock which I don't really recommend. With the basket you can run all your preferred chemical media and filterfloss for the mechanical filtration. I really prefer the filter floss/poly-fil over the sock because you can just toss it every couple days and replace it cheap and easy. You can get a huge bag of the poly-fil pillow stuffing for like $4 at Walmart. They are also some other companies that make better media baskets but they are more then the Innovative Marine ones. 

14 hours ago, Detritus said:

Hi, Lisa166!

I'm a noob with basically the same questions. I'm considering purchasing an IM Fusion Nano 10 or 20 gallon, and it is my understanding that yes, most users upgrade the media basket, and in the case of the tanks I'm looking at, the return pump too. Yes, from what I can see the media baskets available seem to be very expensive. Perhaps someone with some more first-hand experience can tell us if we are missing something. Best of luck with your new tank!

-Detritus

Thanks! This is what I have seen too. As well as everyone upgrading the lights. 

13 hours ago, VaporCountry said:

I have recently set up a nuvo 10 gallons. I am using the IM upgraded media basket($25 for one I believe). The one the tank comes with is just a filter sock which I don't really recommend. With the basket you can run all your preferred chemical media and filterfloss for the mechanical filtration. I really prefer the filter floss/poly-fil over the sock because you can just toss it every couple days and replace it cheap and easy. You can get a huge bag of the poly-fil pillow stuffing for like $4 at Walmart. They are also some other companies that make better media baskets but they are more then the Innovative Marine ones. 

Thank you so much for your answer!'my nuvo 16 came with two mediabaskets, but the quality.... it took me an hour yesterday to just take out the front lid and put it back again. Which will make the tossing out part every few days super hard.  And they are too small, so water will just go past it. 

Do you have a journal though? I am curious about your tank :)

I have an Innovative Marine 14 gallon peninsula tank. I took out the filter sock that was included and replaced it with a media basket so I could run filter pad, ChemiPure Blue, and Purigen. I looked at both the IM media basket and the inTank basket and ended up going with the inTank basket. It's more expensive but the quality is better and it fits more snugly into the chamber meaning more water gets forced down through your media instead of just going around the basket.

I know a lot of people upgrade the return pump as well, but I'm just running the stock pump. So far it's reasonably quiet and seems like it's plenty of flow. I just upgraded the return to the IM Spin Steam to create more random flow.

12 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks! This is what I have seen too. As well as everyone upgrading the lights. 

Thank you so much for your answer!'my nuvo 16 came with two mediabaskets, but the quality.... it took me an hour yesterday to just take out the front lid and put it back again. Which will make the tossing out part every few days super hard.  And they are too small, so water will just go past it. 

Do you have a journal though? I am curious about your tank :)

Do you mean you had a hard time removing the back filter compartment top cover? If so you can just remove it, not many all in ones use them because of all the equipment. 

I added my tank to my signature. Its just a frag tank to grow stuff out. I plan on getting another bigger tank eventually. Let me know if you have any questions.