SaltCritters.com

Blocking off intakes on established aquapod.

Scorchx1245

I want to block off the lower intakes on my 12g aquapod, tbecaqurium is already running, this is my start up till my 40g freshwater fish all uhm....eill say find new homes and live out healthy happy lives, cause I want to convert it. Anyways I have a surface film on my water and want to block off my lower intakes....how can I do this with the aquarium already running for 2 months. I have instant Ocean hold fast epoxy will this be safe to use while it's running and will it work underwater? 

Thrassian Atoll

It should work.  You could always lightly superglue a piece of plastic and place over it.  Not sure you want to superglue it though.  I wonder how much blocking the intake will increase the water height?

I get a little surface film in my 25 Lagoon with a top intake on each side.  Not sure how much it's going to help you.

• Like 1

Hmm I cut a piece of Tupperware to match the intakes. I just don't want to bomb my tank incase wgile it cures it doesnt release toxins, and make sure it will actually hold.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
Just now, Scorchx1245 said:

Hmm I cut a piece of Tupperware to match the intakes. I just don't want to bomb my tank, and make sure it will actually hold.

Maybe just do a small drop of super glue on each side?  Should hold and easily be removable when your done.  Superglue is fine to add to the water and will cure in seconds.

• Thanks 1

Use super glue or silicone to hold it in place

It's safe to use underwater on your tank. 

Check the reverse side of those grates, I haven't an AP12 in years but if it's like the 24 you can slide plastic down channels on the back side of the intakes.

If not, glue one in.  It will help with the surface skimming

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll
23 minutes ago, StevieT said:

Use super glue or silicone to hold it in place

It's safe to use underwater on your tank. 

Check the reverse side of those grates, I haven't an AP12 in years but if it's like the 24 you can slide plastic down channels on the back side of the intakes.

If not, glue one in.  It will help with the surface skimming

It won't raise the water level too high will it?  Only thing I would be worried about.  I don't remember how those tanks look though.

I had an old aquapod 12 years ago and blocked off the lower intake by gluing something over it and I had no issue with the water level. The strength of your return pump will effect this.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, StevieT said:

Wonder if the surface skimmer we make, or the one JBJ has would work better in this case.

Surface skimmer? Never thought of this. I blocked off the intakes to no avail seem the teeth are to low and I'm not drawing quickly enough.

23 hours ago, StevieT said:

Wonder if the surface skimmer we make, or the one JBJ has would work better in this case.

I've used Stevie's Surface skimmers in the past with success on my Fluval Spec V. Also helped me have more control on the water level in the tank. :) But I did still close up the opening below.

• Thanks 1