Coral Vue Hydros

Chemipure vs Activated Carbon

REEFreefLJS85

high quality carbon. I like BRS rox. 

They have the chemi-pure blue now which is supposed to be for salt but honestly you are better off buying your media separate if you are looking for the "best". I think of chemipure as just being a convenient alternative. 

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

high quality carbon of course. I like BRS rox. 

They have the chemi-pure blue now which is supposed to be for salt but honestly you are better off buying your media separate if you are looking for the "best". I think of chemipure as just being a convenient alternative. 

Its funny you said BRX rox because I wa sjust looking at it and put in my cart on BRS. Chemipure is expensive compared to the rest

I've used both and prefer using a good carbon on its own and then using phosguard either mixed or in a separate bag.

I've had better results this way then with chemipures.

You use the qty you want for your tanks needs

You can change it more often which is beneficial

Cheaper

The amount of phos reducing media in chemipure is so little that it can be exhausted very quickly 

I also use activated carbon in my seahorse tank.  Like the others said, it is more economical, I can use the amount I need and change it weekly which keeps my water sparkling.

2 hours ago, vlangel said:

I also use activated carbon in my seahorse tank.  Like the others said, it is more economical, I can use the amount I need and change it weekly which keeps my water sparkling.

May I ask what media bags you use?  Any that are reusable?

I use that Rox 0.8 carbon in one media bag and phosguard in another media bag.  Together, they are a cheap alternative to the chemipure elite that I used to use, and I can replenish the carbon and phosguard separately.

I like these Boyd chemi-bags because they are long enough to tie a loose knot in the end instead of using zip ties or other closures.  They clean up nicely with a bit of bleach if necessary and can be reused dozens of times.

https://fragtasticreef.com/media-filter-bags-2-pack/

9 hours ago, cju84 said:

May I ask what media bags you use?  Any that are reusable?

I use the basket for carbon that the Prizm pro skimmer comes with since I don't use that skimmer at the present.

2 hours ago, xthunt said:

Good small media bags are ‘organza’ bags. Sold at craft stores in the wedding section. Or cheap online. Fine enough mesh for even purigen and has drawstrings. 

this!

if you have Amazon Prime, you can get these cheap and easy, in many different sizes.  use them, and throw them out when the carbon or GFO is done.  

mine are nice and small, probably 3"x3", with a drawstring, and easily hold a couple tablespoons of media.  i paid under $5 for 100.  HIGHLY recommend 

• Like 1