Cultivated Reef

My first nano reef. Nuvo 4 pico.

Newbsalt

Hey,

So I have been reading your guys post and it got wanting to try something small. Soooo with that said I'm doing a nuvo 4 pico tank. I'm just going to post updates of my tank and any problems that arise.  This is my set up for now. I have my kessil 360 that was on a different tank that's way over kill but I'm going to run it till next week when my light comes I .

The newb

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

Thanks guys. I just checked my tank everything is on the up and up. Dropped a heater in. Prob gonna pull the chalices out because I was told they won't do well. Anyone have any experience on that? I'll add another pic soon. I dropped a my mami hurricane chalice I love it so much but like I said I heard they don't do well :( I kind of regret doing the 4 and not going and doing a tennor 20 but oh well

Is this encrusting?

Montipora 

IMG_4644.JPG

5 hours ago, Newbsalt said:

Thanks guys. I just checked my tank everything is on the up and up. Dropped a heater in. Prob gonna pull the chalices out because I was told they won't do well. Anyone have any experience on that? I'll add another pic soon. I dropped a my mami hurricane chalice I love it so much but like I said I heard they don't do well :( I kind of regret doing the 4 and not going and doing a tennor 20 but oh well

Is this encrusting?

Montipora 

IMG_4644.JPG

Looks more like lepto to me but it could be the pic. 

Chalices are super mean and would sting everything in that tiny tank. Just be careful, they need space. 

And wanting a different/bigger tank is part of the reefing sickness we all have. ;)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ya looks like Mr.Freeze lepto to me. I have had really good experience with lepto. Easy to keep, good growers and some really cool clouts and variety. 

Miami chalice is such an amazing Coral, too bad you can't use it for your pico but better to remove before trouble starts. 

Look forward to seeing more!

• Thanks 1

Awesome tank, out of my 40, 10, and 4g pico I like my 4g pico the most honestly.  I am running the stock pump from an IM10 in mine to increase flow and have a kessil A80 which illuminates this tank perfectly, only issue is the lights gooseneck being a little to long leaving the false wall less lit than the front.  Mine is in my bathroom I call it the poopico and it houses my 50+ polyp Xenia rock and my green pistol who is an ass

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Newbsalt said:

Has anyone had any luck keeping chalices in pico tanks I've seen pics but who knows how real thatbisbyou know?

It's not really about "keeping" a chalice in a pico, it's about can you "keep" anything else with the chalice in a pico.  Anything is possible in reef keeping but sweeper tentacles are real.  

On 9/20/2017 at 3:26 PM, Newbsalt said:

How far away is "safe"?

Natalia found she couldn't keep a chalice in her reef bowl because it was a mean girl and stung everything in there.  Nearly took out some of her acans, iirc.

Could you glue a little plastic barrier between it and its neighbors?  I did that for a nasty favia to protect a nearby leather.  It worked pretty good, and after a while it started to blend in as algae grew on it.