Top Shelf Aquatics

tank in a corner nook good idea or not - lagoon 25

jldesign

so i have this space with my biocube 14. this is the only place in the house i can have a tank. its 37inches wide and i have about 28 inches deep. the lagoon is 24 wide x 20 deep. SOOOO i can center it and have some room on each side but not really VIEWING room more peering room as it will only be line 6 inches on each side to stick your head which isn't head space. its only 17 inches of depth rest is back chambers. i don't think i'll have a problem getting to what i need on the back side.

am i wasting the experience by only viewing from the front? does it not matter if i plan the rockwork around the problem if you know what i mean? or not worry about it?

attached couple rough pics to get the idea....lagoon 25 photo was first that showed up in a google search - thanks to that person.

imfit2.jpg

imfit1.jpg

Thrassian Atoll

It really sucks not being able to look through the sides of tanks and also not being able to stand on the side and mess with the rear chambers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, TILTON said:

It really sucks not being able to look through the sides of tanks and also not being able to stand on the side and mess with the rear chambers.

yeah i know... the lagoon display is 24w x 17w x 12h so its kinda a shallow tank. im not sure ill get that cool large flat depth experience by seeing 3 sides only 1ish. a shame as i have no other space for a tank and love the lagoon 25 size. 

My 15" cube is currently in a corner and it's really hard to get to the back chambers for maintenance. When I upgrade to the Lagoon I'm placing it flat on the wall. I will probably only really have access to one side, but better than nothing! 

In your situation, if that was really the only place I could put the tank, I'd probably just make the best of it. Lots of people have in-wall tanks and have no viewing access from the sides. 

Both my tanks I can't really view from the sides. The are angled in a corner. The only places I have for them.

I'd rather have the tank with only front viewing than no tank at all, if it's the only place you can put it. 

I have never had an issue working on my rear chambers and I'm 5 feet tall. 

Thrassian Atoll
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Both my tanks I can't really view from the sides. The are angled in a corner. The only places I have for them.

I'd rather have the tank with only front viewing than no tank at all, if it's the only place you can put it. 

I have never had an issue working on my rear chambers and I'm 5 feet tall. 

I am 6'1" and I can barely see the rear chamber water level from the front of the tank bending over it, sitting at 3' high on the stock stand.  Maintanance would be a pain in the ass.  

I think viewing wise it won't really matter. The difficult part will be getting to the back chambers for maintenance - Esp pulling out the return pump to clean it a few times a year. I don't really view my lagoon from the sides, but I do have about a foot an a half of space so that I can get to the back to clean. 

I did think about pushing all the way to the right side which would give me a 12inch on the left enough to sit on the fireplace edge you see (baby proofed now) and gaze lovingly into it from the left side. make the right side a dead wall. probably look weird anyway. yeah i was kind of thinking reaching into the back might be tough maybe with a step stool when needed? i can't really or have ever needed to get behind my biocube 14 BUT it is not 20 inches of tank in front of the chambers either....

Thrassian Atoll
14 minutes ago, jldesign said:

I did think about pushing all the way to the right side which would give me a 12inch on the left enough to sit on the fireplace edge you see (baby proofed now) and gaze lovingly into it from the left side. make the right side a dead wall. probably look weird anyway. yeah i was kind of thinking reaching into the back might be tough maybe with a step stool when needed? i can't really or have ever needed to get behind my biocube 14 BUT it is not 20 inches of tank in front of the chambers either....

I would seriously look into the nuvo 30 if I had to use that space.  I think it would look and work perfect and it's only like 12" deep.

56 minutes ago, jldesign said:

I would not put a tank that large there...NO WAY would I jam it against the wall.  

what does your gut tell you?  follow your first instinct.

14 hours ago, TILTON said:

I am 6'1" and I can barely see the rear chamber water level from the front of the tank bending over it, sitting at 3' high on the stock stand.  Maintanance would be a pain in the ass.  

Standing on a stool has made it easy. I scrub and siphon the chambers every other week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not jam a tank in there. I just can't imagine trying to deal with that and making sure to get the debris out and clean the pump. I am a stickler for easy maintenance though. I am envious of people who have large tanks in their wall and have access to both sides easily.

I would just get something more appropriate for the space.

• 4 weeks later...

found a nuvo 30L local. the issue with it is i will not be able to use a magnetic glass scraper on the sides. what I'f i let the sides go uncleaned? anyone aquascape sides that worked good without cleaning them? look weird in time or use a stick cleaner on them (PITA)?

oh the choices!

Thrassian Atoll
2 hours ago, jldesign said:

found a nuvo 30L local. the issue with it is i will not be able to use a magnetic glass scraper on the sides. what I'f i let the sides go uncleaned? anyone aquascape sides that worked good without cleaning them? look weird in time or use a stick cleaner on them (PITA)?

oh the choices!

I would carefully use a blade on the sides to clean the glass.