Pod Your Reef

Smallest (peaceful) clownfish?

DeathEmbraceHer

DeathEmbraceHer

Hello everyone!

I don't have a marine tank up yet (like I mentioned in the invert forum), but I'm collecting information about maintaining a tank and suitable critters to keep.

The size of the the tank will be 10 gallons, with a (roughly) 3 - 4 gallon DIY HOB Refugium on the back. I'll be using sugar-sized sand if everything goes well and I'm looking into the cured live rock (fiji, to be specific) from Premium Aquatics. I'm looking to keep soft corals only (primarily zoos, though I like some of the mushrooms I've seen), no hard corals.

I've read that True and/or False Percula Clownfish seem to be the "default" for most nano-reefers. I was wondering if there was any (peaceful) clownfish that was smaller than the Percula clowns?

My current ideal list of tank inhabitants would be (not including the clean-up crew)...

3 Scarlet Reef Hermits (Paguristes cadenati)

1 Black Ray Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes)

1 Randalli Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli)

And one (two if possible since they're supposedly happier in pairs?) clownfish.

My other question was... if False or True percula clowns are indeed the smallest peaceful clownfish, what precisely is the difference between the two? ???

Any information at all is greatly appreciated. :)

~ H.

DeathEmbraceHer

So the true percula clowns are smaller and more peaceful? Okay.

Are the False Percula clowns more common in the hobby than the True Percula clowns?

~ H.

DeathEmbraceHer

Okay. Thank you. :happy: I think I'll try to find a true percula since they stay smaller (and are more mellow). But I suppose if it comes down to it a false percula might be okay. I know I've seen a lot of tank-raised clowns in general in my area (very cute when they're tiny dime-sized babies, I might add!).

~ H.

DeathEmbraceHer

Hello, Chris. I didn't see your last message before I replied to Doc Shake.

How big is your Percula Clown, currently? Was he tank-raised? How much did he cost you? And what do you feed him? Do you have any other inhabitants in your tank, and if so, what are they?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just curious. :)

~ H.

There is negligible difference in size and temperment between percula and occelaris IME. The only thing I will point out is that occelaris's tend to be a bit hardier. I have both. I personally like the percula's coloring a bit better. Onyx percula's are very cool, IMO. I think either one would be a winner.

DeathEmbraceHer

The true and false perculas differ in color mainly due to one having thicker/darker black lines on the outside of the white lines, right? Do they differ in color in any other ways?

How small do skunks stay?

Archived