Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Feeding pistol shrimp

tunagirll

I have a Randall's pistol shrimp and Flagtail goby arriving tomorrow. 

I'm I'm wondering how often to spot feed in a 10g nano, allowing for water condition.

Mysis every day? Every second day?

BustytheSnowMaam

The fish will eat whatever fish food you have.  I use a skewer and wave a piece of raw fish or shrimp (cannibal!) at my pistol once a week.  If lazy, I'll feed him an algae wafer.

Thrassian Atoll

I would feed my pistol if I ever saw him.  I haven't seen him since I put him in my tank a few weeks ago.  I hear him clicking though once and a while.  I am not even sure which cave he's in.  My Yasha hardly goes by any of the caves.

10 minutes ago, TILTON said:

I would feed my pistol if I ever saw him.  I haven't seen him since I put him in my tank a few weeks ago.  I hear him clicking though once and a while.  I am not even sure which cave he's in.  My Yasha hardly goes by any of the caves.

Awww...i miss my yasha..it was a good looking pair but my yasha decided to jump b4 I could make a top for my tank ?

• Like 1

I had a rogue pistol hitcher for about 4-5 years and never fed him because I never saw him!  Except some very sneaky spottings at night with a red light headlamp.  Only stopped hearing his ear piercing cracks when I moved for a 4th time.  RIP

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
22 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Awww...i miss my yasha..it was a good looking pair but my yasha decided to jump b4 I could make a top for my tank ?

Artfully Acrylic needs to hurry up with my lid.  It's been over 7 weeks since I ordered one and I just got a hellfrichi today.

I have a black fin goby and a candy cane pistol. My goby really likes flakes for some reason and every other flake he grabs he will bring back some for the shrimp. Not sure if its common, but it's cool to watch

• 1 month later...

I feed my Randall Pistol Shrimp and Yellow Watchman Goby once a day (frozen). I spot feed the goby and then shoot some food into whatever hole the goby is guarding for the shrimp. I will admit I have never seen my shrimp eat...other the a snail (I saw him/her take out a snail and drag it into the burrow) but my shrimp is very active and I have had him/her since Aug.

I have a pistol shrimp who shares his rock with two reticulated brittle stars, they're all hitchhikers. I actually believe there is some type of symbiotic relationship between these two, but whether it's mutual or commensal I'm not sure. The stars I spot feed almost everyday as one is a pretty aggressive feeder but I'm not sure if the shrimp gets any of this. I used to spot feed the shrimp mysis weekly but now he just sporadically gets a pellet if the brittle stars miss one. Your shrimp will probably get whatever your goby misses but I would say spot feed everyday if possible.

• 4 months later...

I don't feed my Randall's pistol, sometimes the goby will feed him.  Most times the pistol will stroke the goby and like a Pez dispenser the goby will poop and pistol is happy.

I think they are a bit of a scavenger like most crustaceans.  What ever floats past there burrow. They would compete with or enhance your clean up crew.