Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hanna Checker Help!

coralreef20g

coralreef20g

Hey guys,

I just recieved some Hanna checkers in the mail. As you can imagine I was pretty excited to use em. But I've run into a dilemma, I can't access the battery port at the bottom. I was able to successfully unscrew the screw but the actual plastic cover won't come out no matter how hard I try to make it budge. Any recommendations? I remember hearing a tip about this somewhere.

• Like 1

I don't remember there being a trick.  I'll look at mine in the morning (I can't remember now).  I suppose you could try pulling on the screw when it is just barely attached.

• Like 1

It's just really tight. It messes with my head every time I change the battery. I can't remember for sure but I think I just used a knife blade to lever the cover up. 

Thrassian Atoll

I just got 2 of them recently and don't remember having any trouble getting the battery cover off.  Maybe take something skinny in the screw hole and slightly pry it off?

MainelyReefer

I know what you are speaking of, just bought the calcium and alkalinity checker myself and really have loved using them so far.  So when you do remove the plate one side will be the battery housing and the opposing side will have this series on pins that sit into this connector portion on the plate you are trying to remove.  So no side to side pulling only out and away from the unit.  Once you get it open you will see what I am talking about and know how to better address it on the next one you need to put batteries in.  If it makes you feel any better this is the only fault I have experience in the two weeks I've had the testers. I took apart my alkalinity tester to show you the inards

IMG_1531.JPG

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

Careful with the calcium.  I read from multiple threads that it doesn't read correctly.  Alkalinity and Ultra low phosphorus are the 2 to get.

• Like 2

^ agreed

So I looked at my checkers.  It's easy to remove the bottom when there is a battery installed, as the battery lifts one end up.  However, without the battery already installed, you must gently yet firmly press on one of the long ends of the bottom cap.  This will slightly raise the cap, allowing you to remove it.  If you are still having problems, use a bent paper clip in the screw hole to lift up the cap enough to grab hold of it.  However, when removing the cap, try to lift it up straight, as their is a connector which you don't want to break.

• 4 years later...

Without the battery in, it's super hard to get off. Basically just press on the battery side over and over and it'll work itself off the pins. Eventually you'll be able to get a fingernail or thin guitar pick or something under it. They really need to put a pull tab on there for the first time putting tbd battery in. Just got a nitrate checker and it took me a good 15 minutes working it off.

Replacing the battery is infinitely more simple.

• Like 3

I think I use the screw in the screw hole as a leverage point....so the screw kinda becomes a handle.  

My checkers are all very old though....sounds like they may have come up with a better/tighter tolerance mold for the case since then....I don't remember mine taking significant time to open even when they were new.

2 hours ago, jservedio said:

Without the battery in, it's super hard to get off. Basically just press on the battery side over and over and it'll work itself off the pins. Eventually you'll be able to get a fingernail or thin guitar pick or something under it. They really need to put a pull tab on there for the first time putting tbd battery in. Just got a nitrate checker and it took me a good 15 minutes working it off.

Replacing the battery is infinitely more simple.

this.

when I got my first one i didn't quite know about the weird connection and nearly broke it. lol

luckily it still works.... 😅

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

My checkers are all very old though....sounds like they may have come up with a better/tighter tolerance mold for the case since then

Oh yeah they have! My old alk and phosphate checkers were way easier to get the batteries in. If you grab a nitrate one, you'll definitely see. I wasn't able to use the screw hole like I did on the old ones. Way tighter now.