Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How long before copepods die down?

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll

I am pretty sure I have a billion copepods in my tank.  I have so many it's making my water look slightly cloudy from them swimming around.  My back wall is covered in them.  

Its been this this way for a couple of weeks now.  I am just wondering how long it takes for them to die down?  I don't remember going through a copepod infestation on my old tank. ?.   

If you remove their food, they should dwindle down.. I used to have a metric ton of copepods in the Fusion until the clowns figured out they were snacks. :(

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

If you remove their food, they should dwindle down.. I used to have a metric ton of copepods in the Fusion until the clowns figured out they were snacks. :(

My yasha is eating them constantly but he's not putting a dent in them.  I don't mind having some, but I don't want a copepod tank.  Haha.

I guess I'd suggest higher flow and mechanical filtration - hopefully enough to encourage them to get out of the water and off the walls, and maybe get removed whenever you replace filter loss. But also enough to filter out what they're eating.

But also: Give me your copepods omgomgomg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, TILTON said:

My yasha is eating them constantly but he's not putting a dent in them.  I don't mind having some, but I don't want a copepod tank.  Haha.

Try direct feeding your clown and not broadcast feeding the tank. This will eliminate the food source like Maria said and they will vanish in a few weeks. This is what I did! 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
16 minutes ago, Lawnman said:

Try direct feeding your clown and not broadcast feeding the tank. This will eliminate the food source like Maria said and they will vanish in a few weeks. This is what I did! 

Thanks!  I target feed the yasha, but half the time he spits out the flake food.  The rods he eats most of that.  I am only feeding a tiny bit twice a day right now, switching between flake and rods here and there.  I did broadcast feed a tiny bit of reef roids the other day.  Like a 1/16 of a teaspoon.  I'll cut that out completely.  Not sure if they eat that or not.

Mine was the same way before my clowns started snacking on them.  They were getting huge!  The ones that come scurrying out  the size of a small rolie polie creep me out lol.  

Thrassian Atoll
11 minutes ago, Tautoo said:

Mine was the same way before my clowns started snacking on them.  They were getting huge!  The ones that come scurrying out  the size of a small rolie polie creep me out lol.  

Those might be more on the amphipod side.  The ones I am having trouble with look like sugar everywhere...

6 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Those might be more on the amphipod side.  The ones I am having trouble with look like sugar everywhere...

I think you are right, I getem confused.  Just the sugary ones all over my glass/back wall.  Creepy crawlies come out at night / scurry all over the place lol

• Like 1