Cultivated Reef

Do Clown Gobies jump?

Draco

I'm wondering the same thing, as I had planned to add a yellow clown goby to my 5.5 pico but have grown to like not having the lid on (helps reduce heat buildup too).  Sites that sell these fish say they are jumpers, but it would be interesting to hear some real-world stories, particularly with tanks that have LEDs that gradually come on instead of all at once (I've read that the lights coming on instantly can startle fish into jumping).

Lids kill the look of the rimless tank which suck 

snails also randomly get out of the tank, water spills over while cleaning the glass, etc but I just like the rimless look. 

Hmmm... making 1/4" screen/net top looks like a reasonably decent compromise, if I can figure out a way to make it fit unobtrusively inside the tank.  Still would lose that rimless look, but it would be better than the frosted semi-transparent plastic lid that Fluval includes (reflects a lot of the light upward).

BustytheSnowMaam

If the tank has a rim, you could cut and fit that drop ceiling egg crate over the top.  

What happens is they get spooked and then "pinball"- bouncing off whatever they run into.  So they spook, dart to the corner of the tank, hit the corner, and then shoot straight up and out.  

All fish can jump.

My clowns jumps and breaks the surface to attack my hand.

I'd make a mesh lid. Prevents jumpers from getting out.

Eggcrate is good too but small fish can fit through it.

I already have a lid on the tank. I just want to make the tank look nicer. I had to cut a hole in the acrylic lid it came with to let the light through and put a mesh screen to cover the hole. it's ugly, lol.

I will have to look around to see what I can do

nanoreefer20

I removed the hood of my biocube 29 and added an AI Prime that gradually comes on in the morning. I have had a yellow clown goby for about a year and i have never had a problem with him jumping. Great personality and probably my favorite fish in my tank. But like Clown79 said all fish jump.