ReefCleaners.org

PETCO Dollar Per Gallon

REEFreefLJS85

REEFreefLJS85

I just want to give you guys a heads up that Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale now. But I am warning you do not buy these thanks. Every time I have bought one of these tanks either there was a slow leak or the tank cracked while livestock was in the tank. Its a reason why they sell them a dollar per gallon. If you can't afford a good tank right now, just keep saving your money. I rather for you to save to get a good tank than waste your money on all the fish and corals and the tank breaks on you.

Usually people love em and they are built with excessive silicon to prevent leaks. Sorry to hear yours leaked. Always leak test before setting up with livestock. 

• Like 2
REEFreefLJS85
6 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Usually people love em and they are built with excessive silicon to prevent leaks. Sorry to hear yours leaked. Always leak test before setting up with livestock. 

That is the main reason why I really got it because of the excessive silicon. I lost my 40 gallon breeder tank 2 years ago. I was watching tv and I heard a loud crack. I had the tank for months. Last night I was about to start my cycle process and notices there was a slow leak on the bottom. Maybe I just have bad luck with them. 

I can't agree with you saying that these tanks leak.

I've bought probably 10 petco tanks from these sales ranging from 5-40 gallons... never once had an issue.

Even stored away for a few years and kept using.

You should always check for any leaks anyways. If you ever have any issues with it Petco's return policies are really good as well.

• Like 2

Right - but I would personally wouldn't say "Its a reason why they sell them a dollar per gallon."

Many people use these tanks with no issues. Literally, lots of fish hobbyists use these tanks with no issues.

If your tank all of a sudden developed a big crack and started leaking... you need to investigate what caused it.

Like, what surface is your 40B sitting on? is the surface that the tank it is on true and straight? are all 4 corners touching?

Do you have any heavy rock scaping inside? Did something topple down? Mantis shrimp?

What did you do after it started leaking? Did you investigate the seams? where is the crack?

6 minutes ago, REEFreefLJS85 said:

Like i said before maybe I am having bad luck with them. 

Is it possible that they are not being correctly supported with all of the bottom plastic on a flat surface? (Not accusing, just wondering if that could be part of your issue)

• Like 1
REEFreefLJS85
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

Is it possible that they are not being correctly supported with all of the bottom plastic on a flat surface? (Not accusing, just wondering if that could be part of your issue)

The surface is very flat. i have had other tanks as well and never had issues. I just bought the 10 gallon and set it up last night. As soon when I put water in it and waited for a couple of minutes, I notice the leak.

I can't agree that more expensive tanks will be less likely to leak or crack than an inexpensive one.

There are many ppl who have purchased brand name quality tanks and ended up with cracks, leaks, and bursts. 

Leaks and cracks can occur for various reasons.

Pressure points from rocks and equipment

Tanks 4 corners not being on a surface 

Unleveled tank

• Like 1

I had a 40 gallon breeder crack and it was my fault my stand was not leveled. and when I did more investigation I didnt tighten one of the cam nuts properly and so on one side it was lopsided. 6 months later broke it down and thats when i noticed wverythjng

REEFreefLJS85

I have another 10 gallon from petco that I can use.  i also bought a cheap stand from petco as well. Should i put something under the tank? I seen some people put Styrofoam under their tank

2 minutes ago, Nart said:

@ReefreefLJS85 If that's the case you might want to look further into the issue. Might also want to change your post title.

I will change it. I dont want to scare people away if its my fault

Exactly my thoughts. I'd hate to scare away newcomers that's just starting out and wanting to get a first inexpensive Petco tank and be deterred.

Rimless tanks are nice.

I have a Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon tank. Comes with low-iron glass, blah blah... it's nice and strong.

Typically with those Petco tanks you don't have to lay a matt down because of that black plastic rim on the bottom. On rimless tanks people typically get those black rubber mats to lay it on. Mine came with it.

If it's the stand failing you, you might want to bring that up with Petco and exchange for another.

Find the underlying issue so it doesn't keep happening. I mean, it might be that you got a defective tank that you started out with. Look into it for a peace of mind.

• Like 1

I bought every 10 gallon tank for my breeding system at a $1/gallon sale as well as my 40 breeder display and growout tanks.  Never a problem.  I'd buy a 40b and a 20 long if I had room in my bedroom right now with no worries.

• Like 1
REEFreefLJS85

Thanks again guys for your input. i have another 10 gallon from petco I will try. i also just bought some poly foam for under the tank. Wish me luck.

7 hours ago, REEFreefLJS85 said:

WOW that looks like my 40 gallon breeder crack.

This is a great explanation except many ppl will argue a tank that isn't leveled can cause problems.