ReefCleaners.org

LFS: good advice or not about using distilled water?

twowilldo

I am now in the fourth week of a new Spec V. Cycling completed about 2 weeks ago… I added a two snails (one astrea, one nass) a week ago just to see how things would go before I begin to add some zoas that are going to arrive here in a few days. I really do not want to keep fish in the tank, even though I am aware the corals would benefit from a bit of organic waste in that regard.

I was measuring a minimal amount of nitrates 7 ppm, so did a 25% water change using SW H20 purchased from LFS this morning. I began this tank using same LFS water also. Out of curiosity, I asked the person at the store about the advantages/disadvantages of mixing my own SW batches using Wally World distilled (purple cap) water. The answer she gave me surprised me and frankly I wasn’t sure I believed her.

She told me that distilled water would cause the phosphates to go sky high. I had tested that WW distilled water for parameters, just to see what was going on with it, when I first set up the tank. Using a TDS meter, all was nil. Predictably, compounds including phosphates, were a zero using both Red Sea and a Seachem kits. Only thing that was off in the distilled was the pH, but the water in the tank seems to be keeping it at a steady 8.0, due to the salt mix (I am assuming}. Because I have been topping off daily with WW distilled I became concerned, so tested for phosphates in the current tank water and getting a 0 reading.

Is what this person told me true about the distilled water? Others that use distilled for top off (or even mixing their own small batches) what has your experience been with this? I will probably just keep buying their mixed water for changes as it is cheaper for such a little tank… than setting up the RO/DI again and replacing the cartridges for a pretty tidy sum. But I thought it wouldn't be a bad thing to leave options open either.

What do you guys think? Is it true that I am going to cause problems with phosphates using distilled water, either to top off or to mix my own saltwater?

As it is, I have not really had a diatom outbreak yet… a slight amount of brown coloration on the rocks only… not the slime I remember from years past… yet… I am worried that the astrea in there isn’t going to get enough to eat, though it seems content enough snacking on the glass.

If your tds measure of your distilled water is zero, its fine to use.  You can place a little bit of nori in your tank if you feel there is not enough food for the snails.  Buy plain nori, the unseasoned kind, and place a little bit crammed under a rock to hold it down . (I have been doing this also, but the algae is happening now a month into it.)   I think your on the right track, no worries.

• Like 1

Thx for advice Weetabix. Which begs a bigger question. What benefit would a LFS have by giving misleading information to a customer? Makes me not want to trust them too easily next time I go in there.

Sorry Calvin, just wanted to be sure I was offering enough information about the issue.

Marie, for the astrea and nass both? I've given a few tiny bits of mysis to the nass who hunts it down and eats it right up. Wonder, will the nass leave the seaweed alone? Astrea seems to be sticking to only the glass since it's been put in there.

Again, thanks all for feedback, appreciated.

Nassarius are omnivores so yes mysis is good until the benthic creatures multiply in your sand. The astrea  will find  the nori once he has used up what he finds on the glass and nassarius do eat algae and detritus.  Its fine.

• Thanks 1

Lfs employees often give bad advice because they lack the knowledge. They give old school advice, and because they can make money off the customer by misinforming them.

If the lfs employee knew anything - they'd be aware that distilled is pure water. The most it will read in tds is 1 often 0.

It's used in sterilization  equipment, apnea machines, steamers, laboratories,  etc because it's that pure.

It's so pure it's not advised to drink it.

Been using it and never had issues.

• Like 1

As stated Distilled is just fine. Many with nano tanks use it as it's cheaper than buying RO/Di.

LFS employee either didn't know better, or was regurgitating something they were told. You will find that you can ask basic questions of each LFS employee to find how much they really know only after being in the hobby a few months or doing your research beforehand. You get a pretty good BS meter. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1