SaltCritters.com

Need your opinions on my sump design!

LakerFan

I just want to know what you guys think about my sump design. The sump will be for a 20 gal tank that i'm getting and I will either make the sump of have the LFS make it for me.

The lighting over the sump will be a mini might from coralife.

Christopher Marks

Looks good overall. I would raise the first baffle so it is taller than the low point of the overflow (so the water flows in, rather than pouring in from the slots) and also raise the last baffle some just to allow for extra water, as well as reduce air bubbles from the water going over the first baffle.

Thanks guys,

Chris, I was thinking of what you said about the last baffle, but i wanted to leave it as is, just in case of a power outage so the sump can take in some of the water from the tank.

Let me know what you think.

BR

Christopher Marks
Originally posted by LakerFan

Thanks guys,  

Chris,  I was thinking of what you said about the last baffle, but i wanted to leave it as is, just in case of a power outage so the sump can take in some of the water from the tank.  

Let me know what you think.  

That is a good point. The sump will be able to fill all chambers to the top though when power goes out, and I would imagine you wouldn't need more than 2-3 gallons extra space. Either way, you can just keep more water in the last chamer, above or below the divider, so I guess it doesn't much matter.

Archived