Innovative Marine Aquariums

Blue spot jawfish

Minmay

Hi everyone! So I have a boxed Fluval 13.5g tank screaming at me to use it. Dr. Foster&Smith shipped me a new tank since my original one had a lil' chip in glass but not big enough to cause a leak. Anywho, I've been wanting a BSJ fish forever but figured that maybe a 13.5 tank was too small for him. I was wondering if he's the ONLY fish in tank would he be ok with of course a deep sandbed for him to do his burrowing? 

I don't think you'd have an issue with one or a mated pair in that tank. You will need coarse and fine gravel for it to burrow in. If you use live rock, make sure you put it DIRECTLY on the bottom of the tank to avoid a calamity should his burrow collapse. I use the slab rock to build up the good rock above the sand line.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

I don't think you'd have an issue with one or a mated pair in that tank. You will need coarse and fine gravel for it to burrow in. If you use live rock, make sure you put it DIRECTLY on the bottom of the tank to avoid a calamity should his burrow collapse. I use the slab rock to build up the good rock above the sand line.

Just making sure. Ppl have said it needs at least 30g tank but if he really doesnt swim much why does he need that large of a tank?

Jawfish rarely leave their home.

I had a yellow head pearl Jawfish with a 3" crushed coral substrate. It couldn't burrow like it does in sand but it made a home by moving some of the substrate and stayed in between 2 rocks.

Very cute fish and interesting to watch. 

I'd say you should be fine to keep them in that tank since they aren't very large.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Jawfish rarely leave their home.

I had a yellow head pearl Jawfish with a 3" crushed coral substrate. It couldn't burrow like it does in sand but it made a home by moving some of the substrate and stayed in between 2 rocks.

Very cute fish and interesting to watch. 

I'd say you should be fine to keep them in that tank since they aren't very large.

If he's the only fish I hope he would feel comfortable to swim around. I didnt want to risk him being unhappy if he truly needed a 30g but if he doesnt I'll give it a go. I'll give him a 4" sandbed with caribsea arag alive special grade sand and mix. Do you think i should mix it with some other sand? Crush coral?

I think a pair would be fine.

Jawfish don't swim around alot. 

You can get sand that has shells/rubble added to it. I have it in my 10g. 

If you use crushed coral I'd only add a bit to the sand.

Ppl put clowns in that tank and they are rated for 30g too.

4" is a deep sand bed so I would do research on the mgt. of a deep sandbed.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/hcs3/index.php

Some really good info on jawfish

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, 1.0reef said:

Keep the temperature down as well if you're keeping blue spots.

Yes, I spoke to one of my LFS and he said that they like temps of about 70-72. So now I have to find corals that will be ok in that temp. I wanted a blasto tank but now I'm rethinking. Maybe if i have the blasto up high enough so the bsj doesnt get sand on it?