Pod Your Reef

Ryan's IM Nuvo 10

Russell's Reef_721

Russell's Reef_721

Welcome all!

I have just set up my Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10.  This is a downgrade from a 20g long in which I installed a DIY AIO overflow. My fish and corals are being held in a friend's tank. There have been a few casualties, but that's always a risk in reef keeping. I have a spot to get LR from for a great price, and I'll be getting some established water as well to speed up my cycle a bit, so hopefully I can get all my inhabitants into the Nuvo 10 a little sooner.

Here's the equipment that I'll be running:

• Aquamaxx NemoLight 18w LED
  • Aquamaxx FR-SE Reactor
  • Accel Aquatics LED Fuge strip
  • Tunze Silent 1073.008 39.6-211GPH Return Pump
  • Hydor Theo 50w heater
  • Auto Aqua Smart Micro ATO

As you can probably tell, I'll be running a Chaeto reactor. While this won't be a significant source of nutrient export, It will still help keep other algae from growing in the display, as well as make a nice refuge for pods. I'm debating wether or not to get a Reef Glass skimmer, but that's down the road.

My main plan with the tank is Euphyllia. If anyone has watched Inappropriate Reefer on YouTube, that frogspawn at the top of his 45g is what I want to recreate. Other than that, the tank will be mostly zoas and mushrooms (mainly ricordea).

Here are some setup shots. Hope you guys like it and will follow me in my endeavors!

IMG_4331.thumb.jpg.ea6c35645fb5f3b8f142f760678ed746.jpgIMG_4332.thumb.jpg.ab19af43c4d4355267ff32e896e4a751.jpg

Some overflow shots:

IMG_4333.thumb.jpg.f4a905e300b66010de20b28a5f65c78f.jpgIMG_4334.thumb.jpg.d37365876b49817cc41ae3e5edcb7efe.jpg

• Like 3

I love your plans for this tank!  Those Reef Glass skimmers look pretty neat....gonna keep that in mind if I need one in the future.  So far my Nuvo 10 has been fine without it :).  Definitely following along :happydance:

• Like 1
Russell's Reef_721
12 hours ago, gena said:

I love your plans for this tank!  Those Reef Glass skimmers look pretty neat....gonna keep that in mind if I need one in the future.  So far my Nuvo 10 has been fine without it :).  Definitely following along :happydance:

Thanks for showing some love. I have the rock all put in, but I'm not sure I like it too much. Might move it around a bit. I'll post pictures of the current situation later in the day.

• Like 1
Russell's Reef_721

Got it all filled up and the water has finally cleared up :D I'm sort of liking the rock work, but the center rock doesn't really give me a good platform to stick on some euphyllia. Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_4335.thumb.jpg.2472be8bad88943e119ce84333d37ab2.jpg

IMG_4336.thumb.jpg.17d056f31a3fe505a00d7e860903dfd3.jpg

IMG_4337.thumb.jpg.b8732f9f7dc57a8a05d574b90a0baa08.jpg

• Like 3

These little cubes are a bit challenging for aquascaping, I've noticed.  Because they are tall and not that wide.   You could do some neat things with that center rock as is.  Gorgonians off the side or something similar.  Even euphyllia if you maybe drill some holes in the rock to stick the base in?????  I would personally try to rework that v-shaped rock somehow.  Maybe try it on it's side.  That would give you more real estate for placing coral instead of having two upright pieces of rock????  Just a thought :).

• Like 1
Russell's Reef_721
On 8/17/2017 at 11:40 AM, gena said:

These little cubes are a bit challenging for aquascaping, I've noticed.  Because they are tall and not that wide.   You could do some neat things with that center rock as is.  Gorgonians off the side or something similar.  Even euphyllia if you maybe drill some holes in the rock to stick the base in?????  I would personally try to rework that v-shaped rock somehow.  Maybe try it on it's side.  That would give you more real estate for placing coral instead of having two upright pieces of rock????  Just a thought :).

I was thinking the same thing about the Tonga branch! Already moved it, although it's still upright. I'll post an update here in a few minutes.

• Like 1
Russell's Reef_721

UPDATE!

Moved the rock around and the tank has cycled. Added 2 Astrea snails, 2 little Nerite snails and a tiny Blue-Leggeg Hermit. I also now have 2 Sharknose Gobies.

I have not yet wrapped the Chaeto reactor in the Accel Aquatics LED strip, but will be getting some Chaeto from a buddy in a few days so that should be operational soon. Would love to hear some feedback!

Here are some photos:

IMG_4352.jpg

IMG_4353.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg

More photos:

IMG_4356.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Russell's Reef_721

UPDATE!

Sorry for the big gap in posts, I just never got around to uploading pictures.

So as of now, the two Sharknose Gobies are gone. They both contracted ich and died. I left the tank fishless for a month in order to make sure the ich would not infect future inhabitants.

I acquired a Kamohara Blenny from a friend whose tank unfortunately emptied through the sump. Going to be trying to trade him for another fish (maybe a Hector's Goby). The Kamohara is doing fine and swimming around, but the tank is a bit small for him. I also saved some Acan echinatas for my friends as well.

The Chaeto reactor finally has Chaeto in it and is lit up just before the lights go off.

I also picked up a DaVinci clown and Ricordea Florida yesterday and they are now happily housed.

CURRENT STOCK LIST

• Fish & Inverts
    • Kamohara Blenny
    • DaVinci Clownfish
    • 2 Astrea Snails
    • 1 Blue Leg Hermit
  • Corals
    • Lunar Eclipse Zoanthid
    • Horizon Zoanthids
    • Bullseye Rhodactis Mushrooms
    • Red Hot Chili Pepper Mushroom
    • Pink Tricolor Ricordea Florida
    • Green/Yellow Ricordea
    • 2 Acan Echinatas
    • Pink Bubblegum Chalice

I really want to fill the tank in with more zoas and mushrooms so I may rework the rock scape, but for now I'll post some current pictures.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Russell's Reef_721
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, teenyreef said:

Beautiful corals! How have things been going?

Thanks!

As of now, the tank is looking a little rough. I have quite the Aiptasia garden going on, which I plan to eradicate with a Berghia Nudibranch. I also have a small spot of what looks like turf algae that also needs to go. I need to deep clean my chaeto reactor as well.

This is all due to buying live rock locally, but it will soon be taken care of. I also plan on moving away from LPS corals, moving the rock for more surface area, and stocking the tank full of various mushrooms (mostly ricordea florida) and zoas/palys. My MochaVinci also needs a friend lol.

• Like 1
Russell's Reef_721

Also, if anyone knows of a good budget dosing setup, let me know! I'm looking to move away from WC's and towards a Triton method style setup in terms of nutrient export and trace element replenishment.