Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bubble Algae juce contains poison?

Squinchy

I have read from a few sources that  Emerald Crab are the best method of keeping BA at bay, so i got my self 4, 2 for each tank i have.

Occasionally i put on gloves and remove rock from the tank and pick it clean in the "aquarium sink", about 3 weeks ago there was an Emerald Crab hiding under the rock i was cleaning, he jumped off and fell in to the sink that had the drain closed, walked around in the fluid from the rock and the popped BA for a few seconds before i picked him up and placed him back in the tank.

When i was done cleaning the rock i returned to the tank and saw the same crab sitting in the same spot where i placed him, a little weird i thought so i took a closer look and saw that his jaw was moving and looked active, perhaps he was just in shock?

Day 2 the pump had moved him away from his spot, still breathing and moving his jaws, almost as if he was paralyzed.

Day 3 same story, alive but no movement of arms or legs, a few days later no signs of life.

So i thought he might just have been shocked by being pulled from the water and the breathing/jaw movement a nerves/reflexes after death.

So about 3 week's pas and today i go to clean my other BA infested tank and i do so in the tank it self with tweezers and nail clippers, removing about a fist size of deflated BA (and yes i know popping them will only give me more, at this point there is no more room in the tank so I'm only doing this until i break the whole tank down to restart)

and just now i saw 1/2 Emerald crabs that are in this tank rolling on the sand bed from the water movement, breathing/moving jaw but no leg/arm movement,

haven't been able to locate the other one.

Fish and coral look unaffected.

I suspect his fate will be the same as for the other crab.

Skin on my arm was a bit tingly for about 2 hours after the cleaning.

Has any one ever encountered any thing similar with BA?

burtbollinger

any palys/zoas on these rocks you are pulling out and scrubbing on?

any harsh chemicals used in the sink?

perhaps did the drop injure him?

BA spores themselves are not killing crabs.

• Like 1