SaltCritters.com

Damsel responsible for death of goby

Primeval

I recently added a Neon Velvet Damsel to my tank. I liked the color and am still a newbie so I try not to buy expensive fish since they could very well die at my novice hands. Three days later I noticed my neon goby was climbing the walls towards the surface, something Ive only seen him do a few times when I was moving the LR around and disturbing him. I never noticed the damsel paying any attention to the goby whatsoever. They both ate normally. Later that day, the goby was dead at the bottom. I blame his death on the damsel even though I never saw him harassing him.

Anyway, I am looking for a replacement. I want an attractive fish that wont submit to the wrath of my damsel. Actually, if he harasses the damsel, I could care less now since he was just a $4 fish and he killed my $20 fish. Any suggustions?

My LFS suggested this pink looking pseudochromis with a black-mask-looking face....for $50 of course...

you will save yourself some cash if you bring back the damsel since it will cause a lot of trouble in your tank. I dont want to tell you what to do, but I went through the same thing.

A. they are rude and aggressive.

B. they are the hardest fish to scoop out of a tank.

Spend the 15 bucks on a clown fish, and return the damsel so you wont have to worry about compatibility issues.

But thats just me, any fish you get will have a problem with the damsel..since the damsel has established territory and its already a rough fish to begin with.

Thats my suggestion, but listen to some other opinions as well.

i agree with pos_user. i've had a damsel, and it attacked my true perc clown, killed my scooter blenny, and even had the balls to have a go at my maroon clown. i think u should get rid of the damsel. first of all, they are ugly, and secondly, they are very agressive and are more trouble than they are worth. you should get a fish that is small but nice looking because your tank is only 10 gallons. perculas are great, and stay small, and royal or false grammas are also nice.

Yeah.... i have had hassles with damsels. Some look good but really hassle other fish.

They left my clowns alone though.

The Yellow-Tails seem to be less aggresive.

I placed my domino and humbug into the fish only tank... as they were abusing privileges in the reef. lol Solitary confinement.

Cheers,

Reef Prison Warden.

Yellow-tail damsels do seem to be a lot easier to mix with other fish. Striped damsels and dominos are OK, but velvet damsels are for the most part just plain mean. I've seen crazy velvet damsels picking on fish that were bigger than they were. If you really want to have a damsel, get a yellow-tail. There are much better choices than damsels, though.

Archived