ReefCleaners.org

waterproofing/painting inside of stand what to use.

Nickbruh510

Nickbruh510

Hey guys and gals, just wondering what i should use to paint/seal/waterproof the inside of my stand and canopy.

I heard  THE REGULAR OLE KILZ, then some caulking works great. any thoughts?

Nickbruh510

I was thinking appliance white epoxy paint. Nice and sleek and shiny white. 2 coats no sanding. Oil based paint does get my 2 cents

Christopher Marks

Is this a new wood stand or refurbishing an existing one that is already covered or painted? If it's new wood, I think you have the right idea, KILLZ, caulk, epoxy paint.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

You caulk so moisture doesn't get between joints . 

On 8/9/2017 at 1:06 AM, Nickbruh510 said:

Hey guys and gals, just wondering what i should use to paint/seal/waterproof the inside of my stand and canopy.

I heard  THE REGULAR OLE KILZ, then some caulking works great. any thoughts?

Kilz / caulk is the route i went, so far no complaints and would do it again. 

• Thanks 1
Five.five-six

On my latest tank, I actually ran a 2" lip around all the open areas and sealed it with silicone and painted with exterior paint.  Idea being that it would catch a few gallons of water from an under the tank leak before it got to the floor.  Hopefully a text or alarm from my Apex will alert me in time to keep the floor dry.  

IMG_0986.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Five.five-six said:

On my latest tank, I actually ran a 2" lip around all the open areas and sealed it with silicone and painted with exterior paint.  Idea being that it would catch a few gallons of water from an under the tank leak before it got to the floor.  Hopefully a text or alarm from my Apex will already me in time to keep the floor dry.  

yup. My stand has a lip on it already si im covered there. I ended up painting with water based kilz because it does not smell as bad as epoxy paint. Then I will be caulking it very soon.