SaltCritters.com

fw nano tank site

Friendly

I mean a 'dedicated' site...not just one that's fw where there's been nano tank discussions. 

SW and FW both have tanks of all sizes, but i see what you're saying hunt...the majority of FW tanks tend to be in the smaller capacity range as they were viable back in the day when SW that size was a disaster waiting to happen. :P  

Not really. A lot of ppl with FW usually do larger tanks 30g plus because there isn't much that can be properly housed in 20g and under. Having a 20g with 1 angelfish can get boring.

To have a community tank or cichlid tank you need a decent size.

Basically nano FW is planted only, betta, pea puffers, tetras, or African dwarf frogs. 

To my knowledge no dedicated nano FW.

yeah, no nano FW...seems it should be done though.  ;)

I had what you would call a nano FW years ago. I had dwarf cichlid's in it, otocinclus and such.

there are a lot of nano fish for FW.  B)

Isn't that what the majority of fw tanks are, though? People going to walmart and getting a 3-20 gallon tank (or even smaller for bettas)? At least that's the majority of fw tanks I see at people's homes. 

50 minutes ago, xthunt said:

Isn't that what the majority of fw tanks are, though? People going to walmart and getting a 3-20 gallon tank (or even smaller for bettas)? At least that's the majority of fw tanks I see at people's homes. 

Ya, that would be a common tank in fw, generally nano.

In the FW community Nano is generally considered 20g and under. Anything larger isn't called Nano like in SW. 40g is considered Nano in SW but not FW.

3 hours ago, Friendly said:

yeah, no nano FW...seems it should be done though.  ;)

I had what you would call a nano FW years ago. I had dwarf cichlid's in it, otocinclus and such.

there are a lot of nano fish for FW.  B)

Not really. there are a few breeds you can keep in a 20g but then your community qty is limited.

Dwarf cichlids should be housed in 20g or larger and you could have maybe three in a 20g. Regular cichlids need a lot more room, like 50g plus.

You can keep 6 tetras in a 10g

Basically if you want cichlids, a good community tank with bottom dwellers you would want larger than 20g.

basically 10g and under:

shrimp tanks

betta tanks

AFD tank

pea puffers

tetras

guppy's