Top Shelf Aquatics

Question, Looking for Salt Water Fish Seller

cfaye@Delaware

cfaye@Delaware

I was not sure where to post this......

I need help, I can't seem to find a good saltwater fish seller, I know bad things can happen when you ship fish but looking at reviews of some places, looks like you have only a 50/50 chance of even getting your fish alive ???? I tried looking on here some but did not find to much resent info. I'm a bit confused with some of the sellers and website reviews.

Saltwaterfish.com.....has anyone ordered from them

recommendations needed for other sellers also.....

Thank you for any help.......

I did order from bluezooaquatics.com, fish arrived DOA, I felt that there was not enough air space in bag. There was no tissue decay of fish, ice pack was still cool, water was clear. Fish was nicely packed. The bag was full of water, with just a small, very small space at top. It looked like the fish had died with in a few hours or so...... Fedx did it's job, fish arrived on time early AM. I have had plants, and other livestock come in with more air space than what this fish had. As it stands right now will not order from them again......still waiting on the outcome of what they plan to do about my DOA claim. 

MainelyReefer

I had good luck with liveaquaria, specifically a fish from divers den.  If you want something locally caught in the USA, KP Aquatics sells things they collect in FL and I have always had great luck with the corals and rock I got from them I'm sure the fish are no different, just limited in available species. No experience with the others though

• Like 2

You will probably find most places online pack their fish similar. The exception is Diver's Den which always seem to come in a bit larger blackout bags.

I have ordered from bluezoo and Live Aquaria, Saltwater fish, ect. Pretty similar, I wouldn't say DOA is 50/50 though, most arrive alive except certain types of fish that are prone to shipping stress. 

If you can find what you want on Diver's Den though, that is the absolute best. Both Live Aquaria and Diver's Den have the best policy for losses so I mostly order through them.

Divers Den/Live Aquaria is very consistent, I have received excellent fish from them.  You will read about disasters, which can certainly happen, but Live Aquaria is a big company (Petco) and always stands by its product.

• Like 1
Thunder Goose

+1 Divers Den/ Live Aquaria

+2 KP Aquatics

I've had good luck from Blue Zoo but I haven't ordered any fish from them, just inverts and corals. They also responded well to a sexy shrimp DOA (due to shipping delay, got a credit). Live Aquaria responded even better to a DOA sponge I got from them (refund).

My fish arrive alive rate is 100%, I've had one or two die in quarantine but everything else is good. All of my saltwater fish, most of my invertebrates and over half of my corals have been purchased from online sellers. Part of it depends on what you order. I think Wrasses don't ship as well as, say, clownfish.

If your local Petco has a dedicated fish person they may be willing to special order for you and let you pick it up (still in the bag) on arrival day. Then any loss is on them.

Another option is to see if there's a local reefers group. Sometimes people are looking to rehome fish and they might post there.

• Like 1
BustytheSnowMaam

I visited Foster and Smith (LiveAquaria) back in the day when they held their big frag swap and gave facility tours- it's a huge, amazing facility.  Dozens of tanks.  Everything is super clean and livestock is quarantined for (I believe) at least 2 weeks (30 days?) before shipping.  I have never lost a fish purchased from LiveAquaria- I have a Groucho angelfish (half lemonpeel, half half-black) and red saddleback clown that were purchased when I set up my tank in 2007 and are still going strong.  I can't recommend them enough.  Would also recommend Premium Aquatics.  

I would not recommend KP Aquatics- everything I've ever ordered from them has died within a month or two.  Their livestock is from the Keys, and I think they pluck everything out of the ocean and ship it right away without giving it time to destress and acclimating it to artificial salt water.  I hear people ordering from them and I don't say anything, because YMMV and my own experience is anecdotal, but my gut is that they're no bueno.

• Like 2
cfaye@Delaware

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I went with Live Aquaria, not Diver's Den. The fish arrived in good condition, healthy looking, packed well, plenty of air space and most of all clear fish bag, I could see the fish. I could never understand why you would put a fish in a black bag or half black bag, it is in a box. 

I will never order anything from bluezooaquatics again, just lost my money, have not heard anything about my DOA claim and have sent emails. 

Live Aquaria has several things I might want, so will be doing my saltwater livestock business with them. First impressions are important, very happy with this first order. 

I will be leaving a review on bluezooaquatics on yelp.com and a host of other places. 

Once again thank you everyone !!!!

Happy in Delaware  :D

• Like 2