Top Shelf Aquatics

does anything like this exist in a larger form?

Friendly

if you were to do it as a marine tank, the only issue i see is surface skimming. literally each tank would surface skim to the next making the final tank much more polluted. 

well, it would be cycling continuously, so while the last one may have some extra, it's surface would be pouring off at the same rate as the others. you can kinda see the waterfall overflow on the last one. the water is always moving, there's nothing that's still.

11 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Wheetie has a reef in one of these tanks. Check it out Wheetie's Zen Learning Experiment

reading it now!

33 minutes ago, Friendly said:

reading it now!

Omg, so glad you found it!!!

This little tank has been the most awesome Pico ever, let me know if you decide to do it, I can give you a couple tips. :happy:

• Like 3

Get some tongs for working in the tank, and be on the lookout for a good source of small pieces of Live Rock. 

I just use a toothbrush to clean algae off the walls, works great. 

Honestly, I don't even have a heater on it and haven't the entire time it's been up, but I know there are some small options out there. 

The ABI Tuna Blue Par 38 bulb has worked great for me. 

I change 100% of the water out once a week, and do a large feeding half a day to a day before the WC. 

That's everything I can think of at the moment. 

For snails, I think I used zig zag periwinkles from ReefCleaners, I believe about 6 in total. 

you don't have a heater in it? what is the tanks temp then? 

I'm in Vancouver, BC, so I'm 100% certain I'd need one. any thoughts on one that would work? those thin/flat one's by Coral-something look applicable. 

how much space do you have to work in the filter space? enough room for one of those? 

you don't have a heater in it? what is the tanks temp then? 

I'm in Vancouver, BC, so I'm 100% certain I'd need one. any thoughts on one that would work? those thin/flat one's by Coral-something look applicable. 

how much space do you have to work in the filter space? enough room for one of those? 

RayWhisperer

To answer your original question. Petco, or Petsmart used to have a square waterfall tank that they would display their plants in. I haven't seen them in a long time, but I'm sure, with enough digging, you could find one. As for the total volume, I'd have to guess around 55ish gallons.

yeah, 55 gallons is waaay to much. I was hoping for some square 3 gallon setups. 

however, this might work out well. Petsmart has it for $50 up here in Canuckistan, so I think I'll order it. 

once I see spacing, I can figure out what I'd like to do for a heater and alter filtration.

and I think I'll probably go with a different lighting solution i want everything to have equal illumination. but they are quite small/shallow, so probably won't require anything crazy.  

Weet, what are your thoughts on the stock pump? did you end up replacing it? I'm only on page 6 of your thread, so not that deep into whatever you did do. ;) 

On 7/22/2017 at 10:29 PM, Friendly said:

yeah, 55 gallons is waaay to much. I was hoping for some square 3 gallon setups. 

however, this might work out well. Petsmart has it for $50 up here in Canuckistan, so I think I'll order it. 

once I see spacing, I can figure out what I'd like to do for a heater and alter filtration.

and I think I'll probably go with a different lighting solution i want everything to have equal illumination. but they are quite small/shallow, so probably won't require anything crazy.  

Weet, what are your thoughts on the stock pump? did you end up replacing it? I'm only on page 6 of your thread, so not that deep into whatever you did do. ;) 

I actually like the stock pump!!

It's got adjustable flow that's decently strong, so I ended up turning it down to about half strength.

The flow will decrease if you don't clean out the pump/impeller every week or two though, I guess slime buildup causes a decrease in flow. 

I'm due to clean mine today. 

The black base can used kinda like a sump and has quite a bit of room in it, you could easily fit a heater in there. 

Something like this might work for a heater: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DGHG8U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_38?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looks like my water temp with no heater is around 75-76 degrees. 

As for the light, I have it set up so it is directly over the middle section but also has light spillover into the other 2 compartments on each side of it. I have the corals that need the most light in the middle section and put ones with lower light requirements on the sides.

I look at it as having a Pico with "high light" and "low light" zones and plan accordingly. 

thanks for your thoughts, Weetie  :D 

question about that heater. I've read that the glass heaters should be installed in a vertical orientation. is it actually okay to position them horizontally?

lastly, how much space is there in the filter compartment? enough room for filter floss and some charcoal?

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Friendly said:

thanks for your thoughts, Weetie  :D 

question about that heater. I've read that the glass heaters should be installed in a vertical orientation. is it actually okay to position them horizontally?

lastly, how much space is there in the filter compartment? enough room for filter floss and some charcoal?

I've honestly never heard that about heaters and have never worried about it. 

The waterfall comes with it's own filter inserts with carbon in them, kinda like what you can get with some HOB filters. 

There's lotsa room in there. 

I haven't done it myself, but it really wouldn't be all that hard to have a mini refugium in the base, with a small underwater led light and some chaeto.

think a refugium would be beneficial? from what I've read, the need/use of them is highly overrated.

I wonder how hard it would be to make something like this with three 1 or 2 gallon rimless cube aquarium's.  :ninja:

oooh...any thoughts on whether you're going to put any livestock into any of the cubes? shrimp or crabs?

12 minutes ago, Friendly said:

think a refugium would be beneficial? from what I've read, the need/use of them is highly overrated.

I wonder how hard it would be to make something like this with three 1 or 2 gallon rimless cube aquarium's.  :ninja:

oooh...any thoughts on whether you're going to put any livestock into any of the cubes? shrimp or crabs?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa!!!!

Ummm..... ooooh. 

Ok, sorry, had to take a minute there. 

If you only knew.... 

See, I basically just built an aquarium system that is a giant 2 sided Refugium.

So yes, as you might guess, I think Refugiums are pretty useful. 

Macroalgaes are amazing at pulling nitrates and other nutrients out of the water, and Chaeto is one of the most efficient Macros at doing that. 

I really do want to put some different types of Shrimp in the compartments, could also do a Crab or two, just haven't gotten around to it yet. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

yes...but chaeto is chaotic...the macro's you have in that other tank have shape and style.  ;) 

Lol, thanks, but if it's hidden it doesn't really matter how it looks, just how it functions. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Friendly said:

again, true...but I read a lot of grumbling of the mess chaeto makes, hence my comment.

Lol, kay. :lol: