Top Shelf Aquatics

am I ready for livestock?

tlp4

hello I'm relatively new to this! I have biocube have had it for a year! I was given everything from a friend to start it up! i just set up a new tank 125 gal. it's been set up for almost 3 weeks. I started with live sand and dry rock. and placed 10lbs of live rubble in sump tank.  my readings are 

ph- 8.0

ammonia- 0

nitrite- 0

nitrate- 0

I also was directed by my local store to add damsels they have been in the tank for almost 2 weeks. can i move my guys from bio to big tank?

Do not add ammonia with fish in the tank!

I'm going to say yes (it's ready for the transfer).  Here's why:

• The rock has been in water for 3 weeks.  Any organic material on it should already be broken down.
  • While I wouldn't cycle with fish, what's done is done.  The damsels (a small ammonia source) have been in there for 2 weeks and there is no trace of ammonia.  All that means is that it can support the small bio-load that is currently in there.
  • You mentioned live rubble in the sump.  If this isn't just dry rock, and has nitrifying bacteria already on it, then this is a small working biofilter.

I'd feel a little better if you had detectable nitrate.  This would positively indicate that it's processing  ammonia.  But at least it's not accumulating ammonia (which I believe it would be without any biofilter).  However, I'd still probably dose some bottled bacteria, like Dr.Tim's One & Only.

So if you transfer all of the contents of your Biocube (live rock included), you'll be transferring the biofilter as well.  This will be enough to support the existing bio-load and a little more (if needed).  However, this does not mean that it will support additional livestock yet.

After the transfer, give it a few more weeks before adding new livestock.  It's going to take some time for the bacteria to become more established on the dry rock.  Then add additional livestock slowly, giving the biofilter time (at least a week) to adjust after each addition.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Crap. I didn't see it had fish in it.

Why the he'll are fish stores still advising ppl to buy damsels and cycle with fish?

I don't know and I hate it.  

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Why the he'll are fish stores still advising ppl to buy damsels and cycle with fish?

Because it generally works and it gives customers what they want, fish to swim around in their new tanks.

You should talk to them about it, or at least send them an email and provide links supporting your position.  A lot of times we internalize our disapproval instead of speaking up.  Or even offering the customer an alternate method that isn't as hard on the live animals.  Most of the misinformation given to the customers is based on lack of better information and outdated methods.

• Like 1
Just now, seabass said:

Because it generally works and it gives customers what they want, fish to swim around in their new tanks.

You should talk to them about it, or at least send them an email and provide links supporting your position.  A lot of times we internalize our disapproval instead of speaking up.  Or even offering the customer an alternate method that isn't as hard on the live animals.  Most of the misinformation given to the customers is based on lack of better information and outdated methods.

Unfortunately the store is a chain store. You can't email them or I would.

It's a revolving door of various employees, usually young. Some have no idea what they are doing.

More seem to be decent with freshwater but not sw.

They aren't very open to discussion.

I go there mostly for dry goods and FW 

We are very ltd to our options here.

Yeah, I get that.  Still, you could talk to the manager, maybe they will be receptive (maybe not).  Or you could make up a pamphlet for the manager to give to their department employees.  It's hard to expect improvement if they don't have the tools.

I know you do a lot for this site, so I don't expect you to get involved where you might not be welcomed.  Still, wouldn't it be neat if we could get them to change their practices. :)

• Like 2
johnmaloney

Just to be free of damsels would be worth it. I like the fish, don't get me wrong, but when they are your first fish in the tank they will fight newcomers. Beau Gregory damsels may be the most territorial. I was diving the other day, and one tried to fight me. I am about 5000 times his size. He wasn't scared at all. I have seen them peck nurse sharks that hang out above their homes. Tough as nails. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Yeah, I get that.  Still, you could talk to the manager, maybe they will be receptive (maybe not).  Or you could make up a pamphlet for the manager to give to their department employees.  It's hard to expect improvement if they don't have the tools.

I know you do a lot for this site, so I don't expect you to get involved where you might not be welcomed.  Still, wouldn't it be neat if we could get them to change their practices. :)

The mgr is a looser. Lol. 

The company is huge, they have the ability to train if they wanted but when you run large stores, there isn't the desire to. All profits and getting rid of livestock.

7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Crap. I didn't see it had fish in it.

Easy prey. Make a quick 10 bucks.  It still irks me that I listened to my LFS.

• Like 2