Pod Your Reef

Agressive Watchman Goby? RIP Doris :(

haleschristine

haleschristine

I was under the impression Watchmans weren't aggressive... just territorial? 

So here's the story... 

I have had this watchman goby for about 4 months.. he has never been aggressive. He will get pissy if one of the other fish gets close to his hole but he's a big pansy (or was) and eventually hides back in his hole. I go to feed the fish, and the little shit head grabs my baby clown  (Doris) and pulls it under his rock. Needless to say, I was unfortunately not quick enough to save the little dude. But, now I'm nervous to add anything else to the tank. 

Has anyone had had this issue with watchmans before? 

IMG_7172.JPG

IMG_8632.JPG

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, haleschristine said:

I was under the impression Watchmans weren't aggressive... just territorial? 

So here's the story... 

I have had this watchman goby for about 4 months.. he has never been aggressive. He will get pissy if one of the other fish gets close to his hole but he's a big pansy (or was) and eventually hides back in his hole. I go to feed the fish, and the little shit head grabs my baby clown  (Doris) and pulls it under his rock. Needless to say, I was unfortunately not quick enough to save the little dude. But, now I'm nervous to add anything else to the tank. 

Has anyone had had this issue with watchmans before? imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

IMG_7172.JPG

IMG_8632.JPG

:(  what a punk!

haleschristine

I know. May sound silly, but it was really upsetting. The poor clown was so tiny too. :(

Are they normally this aggressive? He's totally cool with my shrimp. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, haleschristine said:

I know. May sound silly, but it was really upsetting. The poor clown was so tiny too. :(

Are they normally this aggressive? He's totally cool with my shrimp. 

They certainly can be aggressive.

I've read of them killing a number of inverts and even small fish on occasion.  I think it depends on the individual fish.  

blaksheep67

Just returned a  Bicolor Goby to the fish store because he was being aggressive with my black clown and picking at my corals!

MainelyReefer

My watchman will be a punk and flare out his mouth and spare with my female clown but her size prohibits them from demolishing each other so I would say it's unfortunately normal, your case just being a bit extreme

• Like 1

Many fish are territorial and when we put them in nano's, fish that usually never have an issue in a larger tank can often clash. Sorry for your loss :(

• Like 1