Cultivated Reef

6 Potential New Species in Easter Island

Premiumaq

I saw Chasing Coral over the weekend... it was good and depressing at the same time. I was really taken back when they said all the reefs could go extinct in our life time. Like, to hear this and to think, what can we even do? Where do we even begin? Really, where do we begin?

Global warming or just warming of the earth is an issue... but what now? If it is indeed CO2 trapping the heat in and the ocean absorbs ~90% of the heat... where do we begin? Even if we started phasing out cars running on fossil fuel, by the time we are done phasing it out... it's too late.

Do we start doing similar things to what Japan is doing? http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/mass-spawning-of-2800-transplanted-acropora

What do we do?

Also - thanks for sharing the six new reef-dwelling species with us.

On 7/18/2017 at 2:00 PM, Nart said:

I saw Chasing Coral over the weekend... it was good and depressing at the same time. I was really taken back when they said all the reefs could go extinct in our life time. Like, to hear this and to think, what can we even do? Where do we even begin? Really, where do we begin?

Global warming or just warming of the earth is an issue... but what now? If it is indeed CO2 trapping the heat in and the ocean absorbs ~90% of the heat... where do we begin? Even if we started phasing out cars running on fossil fuel, by the time we are done phasing it out... it's too late.

Do we start doing similar things to what Japan is doing? http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/mass-spawning-of-2800-transplanted-acropora

What do we do?

Also - thanks for sharing the six new reef-dwelling species with us.

Exactly how I felt watching it. It was showing us all this depressing stuff going on with our corals, but never really told us what we can specifically do.

Very interesting read, thank you for sharing the link!