Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Refugium Lights

Cybernetic_Sasquatch

Cybernetic_Sasquatch

Hello everybody! I am setting up an aquarium that I got from a friend about a month ago. It has a sump area in the back that is split into three sections, like a biocube. In one of these sections I was thinking of setting up a refugium, but my problem is that the section is pretty small and deep. I was thinking about using a JBJ nano-glo 4-led, but the back section of my tank is made of black acrylic so that won't work. Does anybody know of a small but powerful refugium light, or better still, a submersible led strip? Anything that will light up the refugium without illuminating the rest of the tank would be great. Thanks for the help.

11 minutes ago, Cybernetic_Sasquatch said:

Ok, Thanks Ill check that out

If you can't find it, amazon has some products that appear to work the same. They are fountain lights, 10 watt Halogen bulbs. 

https://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/31/submersible-refugium-light/

And another, one has two bulbs: http://www.discount-pumps.biz/fountain-lights-lighting.html No idea how shady this website is though.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am looking for the intank submersible one. I can't seem to find any for sale, even on the intank website. Anyone have ideas?

Cybernetic_Sasquatch
13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

If you can't find it, amazon has some products that appear to work the same. They are fountain lights, 10 watt Halogen bulbs. 

https://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/31/submersible-refugium-light/

And another, one has two bulbs: http://www.discount-pumps.biz/fountain-lights-lighting.html No idea how shady this website is though.

Tamberav included a link to a website that sells submersible halogen lights. I think that they are the same ones that were once sold on the InTank website

26 minutes ago, Cybernetic_Sasquatch said:

Tamberav included a link to a website that sells submersible halogen lights. I think that they are the same ones that were once sold on the InTank website

the link leads to the intank website, but the lights are not on the website. I tried googling for them and nothing's coming up

Cybernetic_Sasquatch

Did you go to the second link that Tamberav sent? I also sent a link to Amazon, which I think sells the same light.

The lights are no longer on the InTank website, I couldn't find them there either

• Like 1

I'm using an old ai prime now , highly configurable to get decent growth. And great for when doing sump maintenance.    I tried submersible led which malfunctioned after two wks.  

Im sure u can buy a second hand prime for not a huge amount more.

• 2 weeks later...
Five.five-six
On 7/10/2017 at 10:34 AM, Draco said:

Thanks- ordered the one from amazon :)

How did they work out?  I am thinking the same thing for my fuge on my BC29

Five.five-six
5 minutes ago, Draco said:

So far, so good. my cheaetos hasn't died on me yet!

I've had cheato in chamber 2 with no lights for 2 weeks now and it hasn't died yet either, so .......   

The one you got, it's the 7" version?

Five.five-six

Oops, I got the other one and I'd like to mention that I h8 amazon.

I put it in my cart and they say if you spend $9 more on eligible stuff, you get free same day shipping... so I hunt arround for $9 more in stuff and find some activated carbon packets and then they say, nop u have to pay shipping. Or nope you have to wait 5 days or you can join prime and have it today for free.  

I h8 this bait and switch crap.

I cancelled my Amazon Prime partly for that reason. it's not worth it anymore. I got it mainly for free 2 day shipping and the streaming videos.. which is stupid because you got to pay for most of those videos you want to watch anyway.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, AJ69 said:

Are you getting a decent growth rate with this one?

Yep - every couple of weeks I have to pull out some chaeto and then it regrows.  The white setting works best.  The light does burn it (turns it yellow) if it's too close to it.  

The main issue I have is the flow through the second chamber isn't all that fast so slime builds up on the netting I'm using to hold the chaeto in place.  Hope this helps!