Cultivated Reef

Looking for feedback, first scape for reefer 170

brianinak

Here are some pics of my first try at aquascaping.  I am hoping to hear the good and the not so good.  I am worried that the negative space (sand) is minimal.  Also due to the overflow box the back 2 corners are bare.  So let me know what you think.

20170704_102509.jpg

20170704_102525 (2).jpg

more pics

20170704_102525 (2).jpg

20170704_102625(0).jpg

46 minutes ago, brianinak said:

Here are some pics of my first try at aquascaping.  I am hoping to hear the good and the not so good.  I am worried that the negative space (sand) is minimal.  Also due to the overflow box the back 2 corners are bare.  So let me know what you think.

20170704_102509.jpg

20170704_102525 (2).jpg

more pics

20170704_102525 (2).jpg

20170704_102625(0).jpg

I like the shape. :)

I guess it depends on what you put in there..... it's quite vertical and that may present a challenge when placing some corals.  

I like it. Just ensure theres room between it and glass for easy cleaning.

If you want to give it an asymmetrical shape which will help with coral placement, difference in height, you could remove 1 rock circled in black but it looks good the way it is as well.

2017-07-05 02.00.41.jpg

Looking Good! I have a reefer 170, and i think this is what i would do if i did mine again. Bear in mind, there is some hidden value in the two square empty spots that are on either side of the overflow. putting a little rock that wraps into those two areas behind the rockwork will give you a little more added space for more corals. Since my mp 40 is on the back wall, those two spots are low light and low flow. I have a hammer on side in that space and is doing well. 

• Like 1
streamline.by.design

Really liking this one. A bit visually lighter. 

The pound per gallon is a guideline. You could always supplement with some ceramic media like MarinePure plates.

lakshwadeep

I like the angles! If there will be a lot of sand, you might prop the rocks up with smaller pieces that are hidden under the bed.

burtbollinger

i have 22 lbs of dry rock in my Reefer 170...along with an 8" plate of marinepure.

my advice is be careful not to go too vertical...did at first and had to do a re-arrange to make it more horizontal and sloping....just wasnt into mounting corals vertically