Cultivated Reef

skilter questiopns

kgb

ok i have a skilter 250 for my 20 gal tank is this good. also how do i use it ?i read some where that it is not good for there to be any air bubbles in the tank (dont know if this is true or not )

when i loosen the air nob for the fine bubbles so the protein skimmer work it lets small bubble into my tank is this bad or good ?

the bubbles aren't going to hurt if it's 'light'. alot of bubbles could damage some livestock but your view would be totally inhibited by then anyway.

you can restrict some of them by adding additional filter floss or a cartridge filter (any brand that will fit) to absorb/break up the bubbles.

the skilter's ok as long as you keep up with the maintenance/cleaning.

if the microbubbles get to be a nuisance just add another cartridge in front of the skilter's filter tray. i stuck in an eclipse filter cartridge i had lying around to absorb/breakup some of the microbubbles.

How long have you had the skilter running? Just keep in mind that most skimmers require a break-in time and and once it gets a little slimed up will work just fine. To completely ride your tank of all microbubbles may be impossible, just my .02 cents

HTH

IME they will always make those bubbles. Unless u have a problem with airbubbles, let it stay the way it is. the filter pads will NOT catch them all.. ever. Also the skilter could use an additional air stone and air pump to make the skimmer work better in a heavily populated tank.

side note: the bubbles are normal on reef crest also.

I rather liked knowing that there was air in the water.... it is what fuishies breathe ya know....:P

Archived