Top Shelf Aquatics

what would you say is the most lively and interesting nano-fish?

Friendly

thespinningsadhu

My little clown never stops. And my citron goby loves to seemingly defy gravity and perch on glass, upside down on rocks, and he recognizes me when I come. It's only been about two weeks! 

The clown is an airhead. Last night I was watching them under the blue lights and decided to throw a flake in. He would go to the surface and blow air bubbles, forget that he had blown them, and chase after them because he thought they were food. 

• Like 3

Clowns and blennies. Both have such character.

I had a Jawfish in my 55g which was fun to watch but  they should have deeper sandbeds. Very pretty fish.

Clowns, I had a pair of perc sold them 8 months ago. I've upgraded tank and bought a pair of Percs again and they've brought my tank alive, my other fish come out more now too!

RayWhisperer

Personable would be a blenny, or jawfish. They have loads of personality.

Lively would be a chromis. They are always on the move.

another lively fish would be a wrasse.

yet another would be any of the Centropyge genus. They take a while, but once comfortable, they are always out and about.

Interactive would be a puffer. Though not reef safe, they are the only SW fish I've ever encountered that are extremely interactive with humans. They are very much like an Oscar is in a FW tank.

• Like 1

looking for ideas on fish for a 3 - 5 gallon pico. 

thinking a gobe/shrimp combo...but perhaps something else for the mid to upper levels. 

Alexraptor

Definitely voting clowns! Mandarins are my favorite, but I don't find them to be "lively" as IME they tend to hug pretty close to the reef in their search for food.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:44 PM, Friendly said:

thinking a gobe/shrimp combo...but perhaps something else for the mid to upper levels. 

I'd recommend a Trimma goby, they're colorful, very small, unique, and tend to hover around. Really any tiny goby will work.

my wife is a watcher, so Id like to have something that keeps her intrigued and entertained. she's not has fish before and they're not quite as interactive as most other pets...but having has a fresh water tank in the past with Bolivian Ram's, I know that fish can have personality!  :cool:  

With only 3-5 gallons you are quite limited as to what you can put in there. I personally would not have a fish in a tank that small.  I would go for a nice invert of some sort.

yeh...I'm pushing up into the 5 gal range now, WV.

and if I did fish, I'm thinking a small goby with shirmp companion. :)  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 7:32 PM, Friendly said:

yeh...I'm pushing up into the 5 gal range now, WV.

and if I did fish, I'm thinking a small goby with shirmp companion. :)  

I have a yasha goby with a randal"s pistol in my five gallon. They took a while to come out, but they were cool when they did. 

On 05/07/2017 at 6:42 PM, Friendly said:

my wife is a watcher, so Id like to have something that keeps her intrigued and entertained. she's not has fish before and they're not quite as interactive as most other pets...but having has a fresh water tank in the past with Bolivian Ram's, I know that fish can have personality!  :cool:  

A tailspot blenny. Cute, active, stays small.

Or a clown goby. Another small one.

If you keep up with maintenance you should be ok with 1 

On 7/2/2017 at 11:44 PM, Friendly said:

A pair of greenbanded gobies, they are so hyper and BOLD. Get two juvies and they will likely change sex and pair up and do little mating dances. 

• Like 1

My yellowtail damsel is doing very well in my pico. He's active and has a good personality- he looks at everyone who goes near the tank. He also digs a hole under the LR and makes a mess though, but kinda funny. Also good color. But he ate my sexy shrimp... so no inverts as he's territorial