inTank Media Baskets

Black Substrate?

samnaz

Who here has used black sand? Particularly either of these types:

Caribsea Hawaiian Black (0.25 - 3.0 mm)

Caribsea Indo-pacific Black (0.25 - 5.0 mm)

Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite (What's the grain size?)

I am thinking about creating a tank with a Lembah Strait/Sulewsi Indonesia theme. The sand there is mucky, black and made up of volcanic matter.

I know the main issues with black sand are the lack of buffering abilities, as they are not calcium based. Has anyone every tried mixing it with some calcium based substrate? I was thinking about mixing it with some of the Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand, to provide some calcium buffering. 

Apparently, Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite provides adequate buffering abilities. Can anyone confirm this is true? 

Another issue is the grain size which has a wide range, up to 5.0 mm which is much too large. Could I use a strainer to sort out the extra large grains?

If you have used black sand in your tank, POST A PIC! I want to see what it actually looks like in real life.

The buffering ability of sand is irrelevant in a reef tank. If your pH is low enough to begin dissolving the sand, it will also be dissolving your corals' skeletons, and really at that point you'd have larger problems than Calcium levels. That said, people do mix more traditional aragonite and black substrates for a salt and pepper look. 

What I would consider in a black sand is if it is magnetic, as this could potentially wreak havoc with pumps and algae scrappers. I used to have all black substrate in my last tank and I used Black Diamond blasting media, which is a vitrified coal slag. Other's have used it and don't seem to report problems, but I never really saw much success with that setup, though I largely attribute that to poor husbandry as I was away at college during that time, but I cannot rule out that the substrate was partially to blame or not. You may like it as it is shinier and kind of glitters with the shimmer, and comes in a number of sizes that are clearly delineated and marked.

Another consideration for me  is particle size. I vastly prefer coarser sands as the ease of life benefits outweigh the inferior aesthetics. It doesn't blow around as easily with high flow, its easier to keep clean, and doesn't causes a thick haze when its disturbed. 

You can of course sieve your sand, though finding an appropriately sized sieve and actually manually sieving a huge amount of sand isn't necessarily easy or fun. I did this with the Black Diamond as I wasn't able to locally source the coarser grade I desired. It was a huge pain with my improvised sieve and took quite a while and made a large mess. Nevertheless it is entirely doable.

• Like 1

I had it. Won't do it again.

It's a bigger grain sand and traps detritus badly. I vacuumed aggressively  and still had nothing but issues with it. 

I even sucked out an inch and still had problems.

Snails even had a hard time with it.

Switched the sand out and I've had no problems since.

When I switched, it was disgusting how filthy it got within 1 yr!

It also darkens the tank.

Failnomicon

I just got a bag of the seachem grey coast sand.  The tank has just been set up so i'm not comfortable giving an opinion on it long term except to say i like the look of it so far.  The grain size on that sand is not as coarse another user complained and it claims to buffer.

I stir my light colored sand often to break up bio film growth.  Has anyone noticed a difference with the darker colored sands?  What about calcareous algae growth?

I used the Caribsea Hawaiian Black and found a bunch was magnetic. would always get in my pumps and algae scrapers. Liked the look, but never again for me.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have Hawaiian black sand in 12g and I am in the process of removing it.  The lfs gave me no choices on sand and I was new to the hobby...

Honestly the black sand looked good only on the first day.  I believe it leeches nutrients, because I could not get rid of hair algae with it, and I've been fishless over a month (no feeding).

• Like 1