Innovative Marine Aquariums

my 1st stab at a pico

Fin2you

So yes as the topic title says, this is my 1st stab at a pico tank. I have had my 40gal reef tank up for 2.5 years. I decided to try a small tank b/c a number of friends have them & I think they are amazing & while I love Sexy & Ghost anemone Shrimp so did my Christmas Wrasse.... 

In my research I came across this forum & found the info in the threads is amazing! 

My tank is a 3.9gal cube. I set it up 2 weeks ago with a small rubble bit of live rock from my big tank, but I am hoping in a couple weeks I can get to my aquarium store to pick out LR that will be perfect. I am not in a huge hurry to get it stocked but I want to put a colony of zoa's in this tank along with a  single head of my hammer coral. (1 broke off my big one & if I get rid of it in the big tank I'll have room for something else LOL) along with a new group of sexy & ghost shrimp. 

I look forward to sharing this adventure & gaining more ideas! 

• Like 4

the little tank died, It had been in storage for years & rarely used b4 that. the filter died over night on Sunday :( it was close to be cycled. but it actually works out in the end. I actually am heading in for major surgery tomorrow so while I recover I've decided to research & set up a 10gal. Lastnight I dug thru my "fishy stuff junk storage bin"....

I will need to get a biocube protein skimmer (already had a nano circulation from when I had itty bitty baby clownfish who couldn't handle the current in my big tank. & a heater. Using a betta tank divider to make a refugium I will put extra live rock & chaeto, as well as keeping the heater, fan & skimmer away from the pony's. the decorations I stuck in the sink with bleach water overnight. they have been stored away for years. 

the plan now will be to add a bunch of macro algae's, maybe a frag of my gorgonian whip & a colony of a zoa for the sexy & ghost anemone shrimp. I do plan to seed it with copepods & maybe even put a dragonette in with 2 pairs of dwarf seahorse. 

diy feeding station.jpg

refugium.jpg

tank stuff gathering.jpg